Paint the gas tank? (Esp for Ray or QSLIM)

Got my tank.

It has a flat back finish; the best way to describe it is like a powdercoat or something like that. It is not smooth, kinda looks like someone sprayed the tank with glue and dumped Laser Printer toner on it.

Jus wondering if putting a caot of paint over this finish would be a good idea. It seems like it would hold moisture they way it is.

Now, it's probably going to outlast the car anyway. I'm just wondering if painting it will ensure it outlasts the car!

Reply to
Hachiroku

I've never seen anyone paint a gas tank, but that doesn't mean that it shouldn't be done. A friend who used to work for the phone company told me about this industrial paint that is very effective at preventing rust. I guess they used to use it on metal parts mounted on telephone poles and other equipment. The stuff is Coronado Urethane Alkyd enamel and you have to look long and hard to find the stuff, plus it's around $20 a quart. We use it on the steel support beams on the climbing tower at Scout camp and the stuff seems to be bulletproof. As long as the tank is virgin, it probably wouldn't hurt to paint it. If the tank has been exposed to the road, then I'd just leave it alone. I suppose Rust-Oleum would also work.

Reply to
Ray O

This is a brandy-new tank, right from Japan. NIB. All $336 worth of it! Every used tank I saw was already well on it's way to the same place mine already is, so I decided to go new. And, I was thinking Rustoleum, too, just to give it a little added edge against corrosion, although the car will never see another winter road.

Reply to
Hachiroku

There may be special cases. Am I right, that some fuel tanks are now made of plastic? (Special stuff, obviously.) If so, putting paint on the plastic may weaken it. Safety advice for owners of motor cycle helmets used to be (around 1975) not to paint plastic helmets, because that could induce weaknesses.

Some thoughts... (1) If a tank comes finished in a certain way, is it likely its makers want it treated further but don't bother to tell you? (2) On a production line, even of quality vehicles, don't they just sling the tank into the car then quickly move on? (3) Maybe they expect the tank to get sprayed in waterproof gunk after the vehicle has been assembled.

Reply to
Andrew Stephenson

I seem to recall seeing quite a bit of snow in Florida... (MA)

Reply to
Ray O

Very true! Climbing helmets carry warnings about not placing stickers or painting. Of course, a plastic tank is not subject to rust so there is no need for rust prevention.

(1) No (2) Yes (3) No.

Reply to
Ray O

LOL! There sure is! But my car goes into the garage in November, b4 the temp drops below 50, and comes out in May, after it rises above 60!

Reply to
Hachiroku