Prius gets 100 MPG

It's simply not at all credible to claim Germany wasn't pacified until

1957 because, by any reasonable standard, both former Axis nations rather fully accepted the Americans by the late 1940s, thanks to excellent postwar planning (which began in 1942) and administration.
Reply to
Johnny Hageyama

The American free market medical system is doing worse than the socialized systems found in other developed countries.

In Iraq, our socialized military is doing better than free market Blackwater.

Reply to
Johnny Hageyama

I don't believe the first color TVs cost that much, not even when the price is adjusted for inflation, but more like $1,000-2,000. And they would develop a red tint in a matter of months due to the phosphors wearing out.

Reply to
Johnny Hageyama

Is that actually your website, or are you a friend of the person behind it?

The "Project" appears to be just an individual whose hobby is politics and whose job is serving summonses and subpeonas, all from Planetary Headquarters, of course.

Reply to
nothing_more_than

Is that actually your website, or are you a friend of the person behind it?

The "Project" appears to be just an individual whose hobby is politics and whose job is serving summonses and subpeonas, all from Planetary Headquarters, of course.

Reply to
nothing_more_than

Yeah, you're right. That's why people from Great Britain, Canada, France and all those other enlightened socialized medicine countries come to the US of A for quick and effective treatment. And just look at this long list of new drugs and treatments introduced by socialized medicine:

: : : : :

Get your facts straight, Blackwater is NOT military organization, it's a security firm. It's employees are not trained as warriors. It's job isn't to fight the war, it's to guard some facilities.

Jack

Reply to
Retired VIP

Electric cars were killed off by their inadequate batteries -- the Saturn EV-1's 1,000 lbs worth of batteries didn't provide as much energy as twelve pounds of gasoline, and the lithium auto batteries now under development will be good enough only for plug-in hybrids, not purely electric cars.

Reply to
larry moe 'n curly

You're welcome to your view. By comparison, I don't mean that they are equal, only that by comparing them, the cases are instructive.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

No, it's just an accurate description. You're the only woman here who sounds straight out of talk radio land.

Don't try to change the subject and squirm out from your ridiculous comparison of Iraq to those other wars and countries.

Your history book has a big typo that you would have caught if you hadn't been so ignorant.

More like foresight because even back in 2002 I said that invading Iraq would be stupid, difficult, and unnecessary and had expected it to require 500,000 GIs, ten years, and $500B - $1T.

Politicians like to sound patriotic and don't stand up for their unpopular beliefs when they know that the general population is running at maximum flag-waving stupid. And if anybody but GW Bush had been President, Republican or Democrat, we wouldn't have invaded Iraq as we had in 2003.

They didn't think Saddam was much of a threat, and neither did our own intelligence agencies, unless you include Douglas Feith's amateur operation.

Naive. You don't know your history of Iraq or how dictatorships work.

For good reason, like the Keystone Cops division of the CIA.

Reply to
larry moe 'n curly

Why were we there in the first place, and why did we remain there for so many years? No justifications that strong apply to Iraq.

You win a Douglas Feith Neo-Con award for bad reasoning. We remain in Germany and Japan but haven't really been occupiers (rulers) since the mid-1950s.

The Commies broke the truce, and the war was seen as the first battle in the post-WWII struggle between Communists and the freedom-loving West.

It would have been much better to learn how to occupy Iraq properly, Douglas.

Reply to
larry moe 'n curly

You obviously haven't heard of the Cold War, which wasn't just a figment of the imaginations of a few rabid anti-Communists. You also don't realize that all that money spent on those two nations made permanent the victory we achieved in WWII, and no peace has been nearly as successful.

Reply to
larry moe 'n curly

Actually, had GWH Bush (GW Bush's dad) or McCain were President, we still would have gone in. Maybe we would have had a plan for winning the peace, however.

Reply to
Jeff

And Bill Clinton did confront those hazards correctly, with Operation Desert Fox, which the Republican extremists opposed but has since been shown to have put Saddam's WMD programs out of commission.

Nobody outside the administration sees the same intelligence information that the president receives, and while members of the intelligence oversight committees of Congress get to read some of the most highly secret information, they can't take notes or reveal any of it to expert staffers for analysis. OTOH the GW Bush administration has been trying to pin the blame for Iraq on the intelligence community, so they've been spreading the fable that everybody saw the same intelligence about Iraq.

Reply to
larry moe 'n curly

Adam Smith didn't think that the marketplace was everything and always right, and the real estate business is one of the least-innovative industries around, except maybe when it comes to bribing government officials. NYC isn't telling builders what to build, only what environmental standards they have to meet.

I'm asking you. Turbines are cleaner than the main burners at fossil fuel plants.

Exceeds requirements but isn't allowed? You need to cite some proof, especially when the EPA has been letting Texas build and run much dirtier power plants.

It's just not credible to claim that environmentalists have more money for lawyers than the energy industry does, don't you think?

Reply to
larry moe 'n curly

Who told you to say that? LOL

Reply to
Mike hunt

30 degrees C = 86 F 35 degrees C = 95 F

That is a lot of warming!

Reply to
Ray O

Reality. LOL

Reply to
larry moe 'n curly

Blackwater field employees were combat soldiers in the US military, they wear what look like military uniforms, they carry weapons, they have helicoptors that can shoot, and they've engaged in military operations, including an infamous one in Fallujah several years ago that resulted in many civilians and American GIs being killed. Only a nitpicking, rubber stamp jockey would say that Blackwater isn't a military organization.

Reply to
larry moe 'n curly

Then maybe Adam Smith will buy what doesn't sell in NYC. Look, all I'm doing is pointing out that, if you try to dictate what is built, you can't guarantee it will sell at a profit. If it doesn't generate a profit, the people who build it will be out of work.

I'm not the one who won't let these power plants be built so asking me why they do it is a waste of bandwidth. The truth is that California STILL won't allow new power plants to be built and they are still suffering brown-outs.

Ok, here's the proof. NO NEW POWER PLANTS BUILT IN CALIFORNIA IN THE LAST 20 YEARS.

Texas isn't California, I shouldn't have to point that out to you. Each state sets it's own EPA rules and the federal government lets them as long as their rules are stiffer than the fed's.

What does your answer have to do with what I said?

Reply to
Retired VIP

Using your definition of a military organization, the company I retired from is a military organization. I have had military training both as an infantry solder and as an electronics repairman (aviation electronics). I own guns and I used to wear a company uniform, they even required us to wear boots.

Funny, I never considered ANY telecommunication company as military. Although, now that I think about it, there was a lot of Mickey Mouse Horse S--T in the way the company was run.

Jack

Reply to
Retired VIP