Puerto Rico primary could help determine who'll win the democratic presidential nomination

Why? They can't even vote. They're only a territory.

How about Guam or Samoa? Don't they get the same privilege?

Wonder why Puerto Rico?

NOTE: Rhetorical question.

Reply to
Hach

I'll surely foul this up Hach but this is my understanding of the Democratic primary system.

Everybody gets to vote! There will be no losers, cause the delegates will be apportioned. No loser, sort of a winner. Then, just in case the people (voters) don't know what they are doing, there needs to be "super delegates" The super delegates can actually determine the winner as they are appointed by virtue of rank, or position or some other reason. They are there just in case (I think). Now there is also the problem that there are't enough delegates elected to pick a candidate cause two states got bumped and no one was going to run or campaign there. So.................

Ron

Reply to
ron

Puerto Rico also has a total of 63 delegates at stake, that's more than Montana and South Dakota combined. Something just doesn't add up right.

Reply to
badgolferman

The 'rhetorical question' is one of Puerto Ricans being US citizens. And also that people move from Puerto Rico to the mainland on a daily basis. So, I guess they are allowed a say in who gets elected. The candidates realize this and go after votes there, knowing Puerto Rico and it's citizens have much more to gain from a Democrat administration than a Republican one.

My most excellent job closed the doors to manufacturing in CT and moved the operation to Puerto Rico under the first Clinton administration.

Reply to
Hachiroku

Your "most excellent job" comment partially explains why we throw Puerto Ricans a bone, so to speak. Quite a few American corporations use PR the way other corporations use China: For cheap labor.

Now, take a deep breath, and pair that thought with another equally important one:

Puerto Rico has a separatist movement which sometimes makes its presence known in ways which are politically unpleasant, and occasionally violent.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Puerto Rico can take all the criminals they've shipped to the US, cut ties and rot for all I care.

Reply to
Hachiroku

Many Puerto Ricans would love to cut ties with us, but I don't think it'll happen. Too much money changing hands, ya know?

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

A lot of big companies do their manufacturing there to get tax incentives and for cheap labor.

Reply to
Hachiroku