Rav4 Clutch

Does the RAV4 clutch self adjust ? I've 2006 model & I'm finding it easy to defeat the synchromesh when changing gear - wondered if my clutch needed adjusting ...

Reply to
holdgaj

Yes, the Rav4 clutch self-adjusts. How do you defeat the synchromesh when changing gears? Are you hearing or feeling grinding when shifting? Is it more prevalent when downshifting? In all the gears or just 1 or 2?

Is the transmission fluid the original factory fill or has it been replaced?

Reply to
Ray O

Its noticeable when changing from 1st to second, & third to 4th. I feel a resistance / grinding, its not audible. If I wait in neutral before moving to the new gear for a second, or two its better, but not perfect Also when moving from 1st to second there's a sort of cyclical whining noise - "Whee Whee Whee"

As to the fluid, I've not changed it, so I guess its whatever Toyota put in. The gearbox is quite noisy on this car (at 6000Km) in gears 1-4 - 5&6 are OK tho.

I asked about the clutch because 1) you have to depress it flat to the floor to get it to disengage & 2) the syncro thing

I've never had a RAV before, so I don't know what to expect.- should I be able to defeat the Syncro ? I thought not.

Reply to
holdgaj

I would take it back to the dealer for evaluation. It is possible that the hydraulic clutch is not working properly or may need adjustment.

Reply to
Ray O

I'm guessing you must be out of the US. I wish I could tell you but my 2006 RAV4 wasn't available with a manual trans so I'm driving an automatic :-(

Reply to
tanukiki