RAV4 navigation screen

I am ordering a new RAV4 now, with full map NAVI, and I wonder: Does anyone know if it is possible to use the navi screen for a backup camera or for a DVD player (only when parked of course), and if so, how to connect it.

Asbjørn

Reply to
Asbjørn

A friend has the navigation system in his Highlander and has a license plate-mounted rear camera that displays on the factory navigation screen. I see that there are several aftermarket companies in the U.S. that offer this integration like

I'm assuming that something similar should be available where you are.

Reply to
Ray O

I'm curious too, I thought this was an option for the European market..?

Reply to
EB

I didn't think you could get a NAV system with a RAV4. Is this new for 2007?

rj

Reply to
Ron Jones

Navigation is not offered in the U.S., it appears to be offered in Europe.

Reply to
Ray O

Yes, here in Norway the NAV system is an option on the RAV4 Executive and is standard on the X (177 hp Diesel).

Now we just have to wait 4 months for our new car. Our 2000 Corolla 1.8 4WD has gone 150 000 km and is still OK, but we want more ground clearence and a higher sitting position. My wife does most of the driving, she is a nurse and has to get to work in all weather and road conditions. . We have tried both the old and new RAV4s several times on long trips and in snowy woodland roads, and think they are great to drive. A Landcruiser would certainly be be fine too, but that costs twice as much here. We could however do well without the RAVs unpractical sidehinged back door with spare wheel, but runflat tires are not desireable since wee need both summer and winter tires. Before that 2000 Corolla we had a 1988 Corolla 1.6 4WD which we sold at 360

000 km, and the buyer is still happy with it. He may have changed the first clutch now. We also occasionally see the 1985 Tercel 4WD that we sold in 88, It is ugly now but still running fine. So Toyota 4WD is the only way.

Asbjørn

Reply to
Asbjørn

I think the Rav4 is a very practical commuting vehicle for people who frequently drive on snowy roads or who have to travel on untreated roads. They are popular in the U.S., and I cannot remember the last time someone posted a question about a problem with a Rav4 in this newsgroup. I did see a question in another group pertaining to wind noise at highway speeds in his 2007 Rav4, but that is the only problem I can remember anyone mentioning.

Regarding the side-hinged back door and externally mounted spare wheel, mounting the spare in the cargo area would reduce available interior cargo space, and at least for the first generation Rav4, it looks like there is not enough room to fit the spare underneath the vehicle between the rear differential and rear bumper. That leaves mounting the spare on the rear, and with a rear-mounted spare, a lift back rear hatch would either be heavy if the spare is attached to the hatch or would require swinging the spare mounting bracket out of the way each time the hatch is opened. Mounting the wheel on a side-opening door means that the spare does not have to be moved out of the way every time the rear hatch is opened, and I suspect that a side-opening hatch costs less than one that lifts because support struts are not needed.

Reply to
Ray O

We in America don't have the benefit of the Toyota diesel engines.

I'd like to hear how they perform and what kind of gas (er oil) mileage you get with a modern diesel.

Reply to
Scott in Florida

From my 2006 (new generation) RAV4 brochure: Engine Power , Torque Highway / mixed / city driving,

2.0 litre VVT-i gasoline, 152 hp, 194 Nm 0.74 / 0.90 / 1.16 litre/10 km 2.2 litre D-4D Diesel 136 hp, 310 Nm 0.56 / 0.66 / 0.81 litre/10 km 2.2 litre D-4D Diesel 177 hp, 400 Nm 0.61 / 0.70 / 0.84 litre/10 km Hope that you can do the convertions to US units yourselves. The Diesel is much more comfortable to drive because of a wider RPM range with higher torque. And diesel is about 10 % cheaper than gasoline here.

Asbjørn

Reply to
Asbjørn

Thanks for the figures.

I have NO idea why, but diesel is more expensive than gasoline in most places here in the states. It did not used to be that way...

assuming the math is correct on the below site....then

For the 2.0 litre VVT i Gasoline

7.4 liters/100 km = 31.7857545 miles/gallon(US)

9 liters/100 km = 26.1349537 miles/gallon(US)

11.16 liters/100 km = 21.0765756 miles/gallon(US)

For the 2.2 litre D-4D 136HP

5.6 liters/100 km = 42.0026042 miles/gallon(US)

6.6 liters/100 km = 35.6385732 miles/gallon(US)

8.1 liters/100 km = 29.0388374 miles/gallon(US)

For the 2.2 litre D-4D Diesel 177 hp

6.1 liters/100 km = 38.5597678 miles/gallon(US)

7 liters/100 km = 33.6020833 miles/gallon(US)

8.4 liters/100 km = 28.0017361 miles/gallon(US)
Reply to
Scott in Florida

This site has a handy on-line converter:

Ray O

Isn't the Euro RAV4 on a different chassis than the US version? Wish we had a diesel here in the states! Although my 3.5 L V6 is VERY nice as its quiet and powerful. Gas milage is pretty good for such a large engine. I've averaged 23 mpg over the first 5,000 miles in mixed driving. Best tank was 28 on all highway.

BTW if you are looking for a good RAV4 forum, check out:

Ron Jones

I think it has to be, I read the wheelbase is shorter.

agreed, it's a great forum, and w/o the nut jobs who seem to be ever-present :-)

Reply to
EB