Replace condenser on 2000 Toyota Sienna

The Toyota dealer says we need to replace our condenser. They said it would cost about $600. I called other auto repair shops and they quoted similar prices. But it seems like everyone is charging a lot for the condenser. I can find one on the internet for about $152 which is 1/2 the price the repair shops are charging.

So, I'd like to try to replace it myself.

I have a Haynes manual that says it is a do-it-yourself job as long as a certifed a/c technician discharges before replacing the condenser and recharges it after.

One potential problem I see is disconnecting the lines to the condenser. It looks like there really is no room for me to disconnect the "liquid line" (Hayne's term). I wonder if I should try from underneath.

Also, I've heard conflicting information on whether it is also necessary to replace the receiver/drier at the same time.

I'd appreciate advice from those who have replaced their own condensers.

Thanks.

- Clint

Reply to
clintonb

Absolutely - you could in theory vent R-134 without lightning bolts reaching down from the sky and zapping you to your great reward, but it's the right thing to do.

Now R-12 they might do the recovery for free - because they want to sell it back to you later at $60 a pound. Or more, haven't checked the going rate lately.

Haven't worked on that particular car, but as a general rule you usually can get a straight shot at the fittings with wrenches somehow, might taking removing or moving other items.

Get and use two of the proper flare fitting wrenches, one for the nut, one backing up on the condenser fitting. If you don't, either the line will twist and snap (Aluminum is not at all forgiving of being bent, even once) or the fittings will round off the nuts.

Whenever you have the system open for any length of time, or the system has had a zero-leak and sat there empty for a few months (and was 'breathing' moisture inside from the leak as the temperature changed) you change the filter/drier.

A pro would have it all done and buttoned back up in an hour (and kept the lines sealed well enough with tape during that hour) but you most likely won't be done that fast.

Would be nice if they used separate (and cheap) refrigeration style in-line filter/driers, but that's asking too much of car makers.

It only takes a few drops of moisture to saturate the drier crystals, and then you have free water droplets wandering around inside the system, causing mayhem (system freeze-ups) or damage.

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

Cannot help on this particular car, but. Why did the dealer say the condenser needed replacing? Did you get quotes for discharging and charging the system? The dryer is usually changed if the system is discharged; it absorbs moisture in the system. There may be front grill piece that can be easily removed to allow better access to the fittings.

Reply to
toyomoho

Thanks for your response.

They did a leak test with some dye and determined the leak was in the condenser. Recharging the a/c costs around $75-80.

- Clint

Reply to
clintonb