Resistor pack? '90 Celica

OK, so previously I posted a thread about my blower only working when set to "HI." Many of you pointed me to a thread about an '86 Supra with the same issue. Within the thread, it said that it was because the resistor pack had been burned out due to the extreme temperatures that it is exposed to.

I have tried to find this resistor pack using diagrams provided to me by Toyota. Unfortunately, I was not able to find them. I did however, locate a white block item after unscrewing it from the (insert name of large black box behind glovebox, sorry I can't remember the name). It had four wires connected to it and was screwed in with two screws. I looked at the connects on the white block and noticed that one of them had been shorted out (wasn't connected).

Since I FINALLY got my digital camera a pair of batteries, I have pictures:

showing the location of where I found the block.
showing the block after it was removed. Now, I was hoping that this block was the resistor pack (and my reason for assuming so is because I noticed that there is copper that seemed to be burned away). And if it is not, could anyone tell me what this is?

THANK YOU, THANK YOU. I'm desperately trying to fix the issue with my blower. Having it be too hot and too cold anytime I run the blower is starting to be quite a bother.

Reply to
omnineko

Hmmmm...this is different from what I am used to seeing...but I think you're a ways away from the mark.

In my experience with the older Toys I have owned, the resistor pack is IN the fan cage. I believe, in the photo marked mystery-block1.jpg, in the background ther is a white cage marked TOYOTA, with an assy #116200-8352,

12V with a big S on it. This SHOULD be the fan assy. Usually, the easiest way to get this open is to loosen the three screws on the bottom of it. You can then remove the fan motor, the 'squirrel cage' that is the fan, the flange that attached the whole thing, and the resistor pack.

Now, my experience is 1988 and older...all my newer ones we have traded before it needed this repair. But, that should be where it is located. Perhaps someone with more recent experience may have a different input, but that's where they were on 4 other models I've had to do this to.

Good luck...

Reply to
Hachiroku

Reply to
omnineko

I did a little reading around on some other forums and stumbled upon something called a "thermal overload relay." I was trying to find pictures of this but really haven't found anything. Is it possible that the white mystery block is a thermal overload relay? Could this be the cause of my failed blower speeds?

Thanks.

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Reply to
omnineko

Alright, so I read a few other threads about finding the location of the resistor pack. I checked the fan assembly and didn't see it there (also, I don't see any wires or connectors that would lead to the resistor pack). I looked on this website:

And wasn't able to figure out what picture one is showing. However, I do not see anywhere underneath the glovebox compartment where it could be. I checked at the firewall and well, can't really see much of it from the interior of the car.

Any more ideas?

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Reply to
omnineko

It is hard to tell from your pictures because the object you are pointing to are so washed out.

Go to your local Toyota dealer and ask them to show you the location on the parts computer. While you are at it, you can ask for a price for a new one.

Reply to
Ray O

Yeah, I was a little afraid of that...

BUTTTTTT...

I GOT IT! That mysterious white block, whether or not it's a resistor pack, THAT is what c> It is hard to tell from your pictures because the object you are pointing to

Reply to
omnineko

Ah! Thanks! Now I have a bit more knowledge!

BTW, was it REAL hard to get out? You could try soldering it, or just reef on it so it maintains a connection. I've had 'fixes' like that work for years!

Reply to
Hachiroku

Reply to
omnineko