Sienna inputs

I would like your input on the Sienna minivan, the goods and bads,if any, i am in the market to buy this van or the Honda.

Thank You A former Chrysler minivan owner

Reply to
Bentracer and Bentrider

Use the premium fuel and you will get better gas mileage, better performance and you won' t be disappointed. The thing I don't like about the sienna vs the honda is sharp fast turns. The sienna feels like a minivan, the honda feels like a big car. but both are really good. Some people complain about the Honda's transmission, but I have not heard a problem about the new 2006 models having the same problem. Enjoy the test drives.

Chrysler must be doing something right, they sell five times as many minivans as does Honda or Toyota

mike hunt

Reply to
Mike Hunter

You will find the Honda Odyssey to be a bit sportier handling. It also has a more modern styling. It has slightly more powerful engine which gives it a slight edge on freeway passing. The downsides are few. Honda is very picky on maintenance. If you have a warranty issue, they will verify that you have done all the recommended service. The sportier handling allows more road noise and impact intrusion into the cabin. Parts are more expensive, as a whole, compared to the Toyota. Also, watch out for the "Touring" model as it requires a special tire. The wheels on it are not measure in inches like most US cars. They're 460mm. Good luck buying replacement tires for that at a reasonable price.

The Sienna, by contrast, is softer riding and quieter. It's more reliable in the long run and has a better warranty. Even with a slightly smaller and less powerful engine, it feels more powerful around town due to its better low rpm torque. The downside is that it doesn't look as good as the Honda inside and out. This tends to sway younger buyers during the test drives. Also, Toyota dealers don't seem to fare as well as Honda dealers on new vehicle purchase satisfaction ratings.

Pay particular attention to the difference in ride comfort and silence. The Sienna is significantly better in both. This may be a bad thing if you have loud passengers.

Reply to
Viperkiller

They also have five times more problems, recalls, and five times more likely to lose its resale value. They must be doing something wrong.

Reply to
Viperkiller

It just goes to show that too many people are suckers for promotions and misleading advertising.

Reply to
High Tech Misfit

I own a Sienna and have driven the Odyssey on a few occasions. While the above is true, the Sienna's handling can be improved by replacing the tires with something decent. Most Toyota cars come with tires that appear to have been selected on the basis of cost and nothing else considered.

Both the Sienna and Odyssey are fine minivans, although both tend to the larger side of mini. Play around with the seats to figure out if one or the other offers any advantages for the way your family plans to use the vehicle. Drive both at night to compare. Long test drives are the only way to be sure you like the car. Try to put a fair sized load in the vans if that is the way you plan to use it. If more than one driver plans to use the car be sure both like the seat adjustments and comfort.

Hard to go wrong with either one of your choices.

Reply to
dimndsonmywndshld

NO FWD vehicle, not even a two seat coupe and especially not a van, has 'sporty' handling LOL

mike hunt

Reply to
Mike Hunter

Tried a Mitsubishi FTO? FWD and feels fairly sporty to me, but still not quite a RWD (or 4WD).

Coyoteboy

I have a 2005 one. Over all, the mechanics are great. My issue is the battery drain. Seems a lot of us have this issue with 2004 2005 models. 2006 may have been fixed. I would invest in priority start if you gonna get one. There are just so many electrical components that you probably should have two batteries in the van.

I have the 2005 XLE AWD - love the awd!!

Reply to
Dan J.S.

How true.

Reply to
Viperkiller

I share the same preference of driving a rear-wheel drive. The steering feels better and the handling more neutral due to the more equal weight balance.

Having said that, I would say that the last two body styles of the Honda Prelude would be the best arguments to the contrary, a losing argument, but good contentions nonetheless.

Reply to
Viperkiller

Do you have any aftermarket accessories installed? I find that they're the ones that mostly drain the batteries.

AWD has its benefits. Anyone who buys this though should consider that they will lose the spare tire. Most people probably won't care.

Reply to
Viperkiller

Never drove an Integra Type R, did you?

see

here's a paragraph "Whereas other front-drive sport coupes seem peppy and sporty on the street but quickly become a wet noodle dynamically when they are pushed to their limits, the Type R is almost the opposite. It becomes better the harder you drive it. Proof comes from real racing. In SCCA Pro Racing's Speedvision World Challenge race series, race-modified Type R's have won the Touring Car championship every single year since the car's '97 debut. They dominated the 1998 and 1999 race seasons, taking the first, second and third slots in the final standings."

Now a minivan isn't a sporty vehicle but the original post did say sportier not sporty. And as to your claim that no FWD vehicle is sporty - well you're an idiot, Mike.

Reply to
dimndsonmywndshld

Mike's numbers are off again as usual:

In 2003, Chrylser sold twice as many minvans as Honda. I am sure Honda has significantly increased share now since their new model came out in 2004 and has been an incredible success.

We bought the Honda after test driving the Toyota, Chrysler, Ford, Honda and Mazda.

If you want the middle seats that fold into the floor, that is the only reason to buy the Chrysler. Honda and Toyota definitely beat it otherwise in all respects. Ford and Mazda trail Chrysler obviously from first impressions. Mazda is being discontinued or replaced.

Honda has better suspension and handling than Toyota. Toyota seats might be more comfortable. Comparably equipped, the Honda is a couple of grand cheaper than the Toyota. In the old days dealers were not discounting the Honda which wiped out the Honda price advantage but now you can expect to pay about $500 over invoice or a discount of around $3k.

Reply to
Art

The Odyssey gives quite a lot of road feel and you do need to hold on to the wheel when driving thru potholes. That is at least true with the Touring model with run flat Michelin tires. The tires are supposed to be reasonably priced. The problem is if you ruin the interior doughnut by driving on a flat tire too long.

Reply to
Art

No extra accessories. It happens once every 2 months. Since I put in priority start the issues are all resolved.

I make a point of buying cars with run flats, especially the ones my wife drives. Just so much easier than dealing with the stuff on your own. At least easier for me.

Reply to
Dan J.S.

Rough ride huh?

Reply to
The BEnevolent dbu

What makes the Honda have a better suspension and handling?

Reply to
The BEnevolent dbu

I wouldnt say that Honda has a better suspension, better handling...yes. Manufacturers have to tune a suspension either for handling or smoother ride. This is always a compromise on how stiff you want the springs and dampers. Honda chooses to make it handle better due to its appeal to younger buyers. Honda also tends to use head engineers that just came from their racing programs.

Reply to
Viperkiller