So who needs a car?

Local Group Proposes Structured Hitchhiking Plan NORTHAMPTON, MASSACHUSETTS (WWLP) - A group in Northampton is promoting hitchhiking as a way to conserve fuel. Under the plan, both drivers and pedestrians who participate would fill out an application. The application would includes questions about their residential and driving status and criminal background. Those who pass the screening process would be given placards indicating that they are part of the program. Drivers would display their placards somewhere on a window of their vehicle. Hitchhikers would hold theirs up at designated stop sites. The placards would all have photo identifications and numbers that would be registered in a data base so that their authenticity can be verified. Although the project does not require official approval by the city, proponents are hoping for the endorsement of the council and the mayor. The Northampton proposal is based on a system devised by residents in the bay area of California.

Reply to
Hachiroku

Lots of people used to hitchhike when I was a kid. It's a good idea.

But suppose you don't plan on being a regular hitchhiker but have to anyway? No one would pick you up because you don't have a "placard".

Reply to
st-bum

Leave it to the Californicators to come up with this hare-brained scheme

Natalie

Reply to
Wickeddoll®

I think that's the idea.

I don't pick up anyone anymore. I used to hitch a lot before i got my license, but things have just gotten too weird...

Reply to
Hachiroku

Actually what we need is a cheaper form of mass transportation. Here is my idea:

Helium filled balloon people movers on a monorail system. Since they are filled with fireproof helium, they would be light and require relatively light structures to support them. By using a cable system they would not require a propulsion system. They could drop down to pick up people and then go up to attach themselves to the cable and be pulled to the next station. They would be virtually silent.

Reply to
Art

No, it wouldn't be quiet - all that vomiting is bound to make a racket

Natalie

Reply to
Wickeddoll®

wouldn't be economical either. Art is just joking again.

Reply to
.dbu.

I know dood...

Natalie

Reply to
Wickeddoll®

'ever been to Northampton?

Reply to
B a r r y

Have YOU?!?!

Reply to
Hachiroku

Many, many times, the last being about three weeks ago. We stopped there to eat on the way back from a butterfly garden. I didn't have enough political bumper stickers, so I was asked to leave.

I used to rent PA systems to some night clubs in Northampton on a regular basis. Folk and blues are rather popular there.

In Northampton, I did see the very first Prius I'd ever seen with a trailer hitch. The hitch was installed for a rear mount bike rack.

I even flew over it twice Thursday afternoon, to and from Keene, NH. I didn't "drop in" as some others were from 9000MSL...

Some harebrained stuff definitely could come from Northampton...

Reply to
Bonehenge

I was working at the Toy dealership there until 3 weeks ago...

Probably 'misspent' half my youth there. And NEVER been to Pearl Street!

Who do you work for that rents sound systems?

Reply to
Hachiroku

Oh, yeah, btw I live about 5 miles from the 'butterfly garden'!

Reply to
Hachiroku

"Bonehenge"

*snip*

That nick makes me giggle like a sixth-grader every time I see it

Dunno why

Natalie

Reply to
Wickeddoll®

It's did, not do... Now I get up earlier than I used to come home.

I used to work for Concert Technology Group, who in the late 80's to mid-90's was out of Glastonbury, then Middletown, CT. After that, I had my own small company with a Turbosound rig, and did occasional work with Snow (CT) and Starfire (Albany). I've hit UMASS Amhearst a lot over the years, too.

Since you're from the area, you've got to agree that the occasional crunchy granola crazy idea could definitely be hatched in Northampton. As well as some good ones!

Ever been to the butterfly garden in Greenfield? If you can hit it on a day with no school field trips, it's a cool place.

Reply to
Bonehenge

I actually can't take credit for making it up.

Bonehenge is the name of a show on XM Radio's heavy metal channel "The Boneyard".

I thought it would make a decent silly screen nick...

Reply to
Bonehenge

Occasional!!! Holy Crap, man, it's the Mecca for crazy ideas! But, you're correct; every once in a while:

No, I haven't. I like kids. They stay crunchy, even in milk! But that's getting overrun!!

So wherre are you now, Keene? And what do you do now?

Reply to
Hachiroku

Not only that, wouldn't it get hard to understand people with all the Donald Duck voice bit after a while?

Charles

Reply to
n5hsr

Hitchhiking became a bad idea by the late 1970's .... and became a really really BAD idea by the late 1980's. America has become a very different place.

Reply to
Philip

It is - it's cutely dirty

:-)