Something broke, '89 626

Changed the oil on my '89 626 and took it for a ride, went down a dirt road. After the road turned back to pavement, there was a snapping noise followed by a jangling, I figured it was stones. A little bit later there was a loud jangling. I turned around and picked up a brass colored bolt 4" long snapped at the end.

I thought it was the new sway bar link; I had one of those break already, but that wasn't it.

A quick check of the front suspension (in the dark) revealed nothing. Everything looks OK.

I have no idea where this bolt came from. Any suggestions?

Reply to
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B

quit spamming irrelevent newsgroups. Your 626 isn't a toyota.

Reply to
AZ Nomad

Check the exhaust hangar bolts Hachi. A four inch bolt is pretty big for exhaust but it could have been in a bushing or holding something that is now hitting the exhaust that broke on the dirt road. You will have to look underneath in the daylight, and or, with a light. Look especially around and pull / wiggle on the exhaust system parts when its cold. The jangling sound reminds me of pipe noise ( probably the longest pipe because it's length will create the jangling tone )interfering with something else, but noises, of course are a hard diagnosis on the NG.

Reply to
user

Up your what, you say?

Obviously, you haven't been here too long.

BTW, Google "Hachiroku".

There are PLENTY of people here with a boatload of experience with Toyotas and other cars, and can offer a suggestion as to where to look. A lot of Japanese cars are engineered in a similar manner.

As opposed to you, that just spoke up offering NOTHING.

Reply to
Hachiroku

The jangling noise was only as the part fell off the car. It is quiet now.

After checking a Mazda OEM parts site, it looks like it might be an alignment adjustment part. The thing is, I assume that would be on the lower control arm, but from what I saw the bolts are there. I couldn't get too good a look at the passenger's side.

Unfortunately, my 'paper route' is tearing the hell out of this car! I have a Suby I want to put on-line, but can't get the ball joint out! Once I get that going (or buy another one...one of my customers has a '97 for $200; 300,000 miles!!! but I think the engine and I know the trans have been replaced...this will be #6!!) I want to 'retire' the Mazda to use for my job as a Dell Factory rep for the winter where it will see 99% paved roads. I'm using the Scion for that now, as well as the Supra when the weather is like it has been this week! ;)

Reply to
Hachiroku

Brass colored bolts are not that common on cars. Check to see if the bolts that hold the radiator are in place. I suspect that it was a random bolt that you kicked up.

Reply to
Ray O

Geeze, Ray, I wish!

The brass colored ones on this car are used in the suspension. I think it might be an alignment adjustment. On Toys these are brass colored also.

It was a matter of about a minute between the time I heard the POP! and when the bolt fell out. There was a pop, something hitting the bottom of the car; I took a corner (thinking it was stones...) and then about 100 ft further the bolt fell out.

I *WISH* it had been something else! :(

Reply to
Hachiroku

========

It's best to humor the fellow. (We don't want to upset the criminal element in the room.)

Reply to
Built_Well

Hachi, I wonder if you can answer this question for us. Why have so many posters to this newsgroup accused you of being a child molester?

There have been at least 4 folks over the past 2 years who have accused you of that crime.

Reply to
Built_Well

What does "brass colored" mean? Is it brass-colored all the way through, or is it just brass-colored on the outside. What does the break look like?

If it's actually brass, it's not anything structural. If it's cadmium plated, it's probably not off your car at all.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

snipped-for-privacy@panix.com (Scott Dorsey) wrote in news:fd3mpn$9tt$ snipped-for-privacy@panix2.panix.com:

I suspect the "brass" may be yellow zinc dichromate wash.

Yellow dichromate is a common anti-corrosion plating applied to many auto parts, including bolts and nuts.

Reply to
Tegger

By golly, I believe you are correct (as you are about 99% of the time...)

I said 'brass colored' because it was the best description. Thanks for the Tech info!

Reply to
Hachiroku

Who, Ray?!?!

OK, I guess. I'll humour him from now on. But I don't see why...

Reply to
Hachiroku

If it is a clean zinc chromate bolt take a look at it close for wear spots or corrosion spots. They will give you a clue what the parts it holds look like. 4" is a long bolt. Sounds like a suspension bolt like an A arm or maybe a rear spring bolt? Or possibly a caliper mount bolt?

I would look it over REAL close.

Reply to
Steve W.

No, of course not. I was not talking about Ray. I was talking about you, Hachi. You are the criminal element in the room--obviously.

You did serve a year-and-a-half in prison....for something.

Reply to
Built_Well

Well, you responded to me, so naturally I thought you meant Ray.

And if you really want to know about prison, I can introduce you first hand. It'a a bit harder than it was in 1997, but I think there are still ways.

BTW, does your CPU smoke after sex?

Reply to
Hachiroku