South Park hybrid smashing

The Toyonda Pious and Hindsight?? Excessive smug emissions from hybrids? C'mon people. Hilarious. Painted a perfect picture of these screwheads that come into the dealer
with their "package 2 Super White Prius with cargo net and Nav that I waited two months to get" vehicles. Browsing the New York Times on their laptops through horn-rimmed glasses waiting in the customer lounge while they sip $10 coffee drinks and wear turtlenecks. Wierdos.
On Thu, 30 Mar 2006 18:38:52 -0500, qslim wrote:

Welcome to Northampton.
How many Irish Car Bombs did *you* have tonight?
--
In the grand scheme fo things...
What difference does it make?
qslim, 3/30/2006,6:38:52 PM, wrote:

I get the feeling you aren't a big fan of the environmentalists.
--
"It isn't pollution that's harming the environment. It's the impurities
in our air and water that are doing it." ~ Al Gore, Vice President

Or the idiots here that buy environmental plates for their Hummer. Why the heck does a Hummer have CAR plates on it, anyway? Anything with a gross weight that high ought to be registered by Gross Vehicle Weight, i.e. a TRUCK.
But then again, something funny is going on here in Illinois. I see a lot of trucks registered with NOT truck tags. NOT RV tags, but with out and out PASSENGER tags, i.e. Car tags. I can remember when VANS in Illinois always had truck tags, now most of them have car tags.
Charles of Schaumburg, Illinois

They're called a back seat and rear seat belts, which legally make many light trucks and vans nothing more than heavy cars.
I had a 1978 Lincoln that weighed 6000 pounds, which is quite a bit more than the typical 1/2 ton pickup or van.

No, I'm talking about regular pickup trucks with a bed in the back with CAR tags. I've seen quite a few lately on the road. Car tags here in Illinois have a different color and different numbering than truck tags. Vehicles with a bed and liner in the back and only one row of seats are usually called a pickup truck. I'm not just talking about Stupid Useless Vehicles.
Your Lincoln was not a car it was a land-yacht. Should have had to be licensed as livery or something like that, as big as it was.
How do you know what the needs are of those that own SUVs? Sound like you are envious the SUV owners. ;)
mike hunt
wrote in message \

wrote in message

Hey I get damn tired of dodging people in their SUV's that don't want to share the road with anything they don't want to see. I see way too many SUV drivers up here with an attitude that they own the road and to hell with the Corollas. They're so much safer, but by their driving they make the rest of us less safe. There are a few people that do need and use SUV's but it's also become a 'status symbol'. Much like the people that drive some of the fast hot sports cars because they are a 'status symbol' and really don't drive them well. . . . When people tell me that the SUV is the be all/end all of vehicular existance, I start listening for the echos of the land yacht owners of the early 70's telling me the same thing with the same attitude. They were wrong then and these are wrong now as well. Not everyone wants or needs an SUV, and unfortunately not everyone knows how to drive one, either, judging by some of the accidents I see. I don't want an SUV. I have no use for that much vehicle. Ray O, for instance, needs one and uses it quite a bit. But I've seen him drive, too. Not a problem. It's the jerks that cut 3 lanes with no signals, right across your nosecone, or the goof who sits in the left lane blocking traffic at rush hour that's the problem.
One thing that makes me LIVID is the attitude that since I've achieved a certain level of income, I should be driving an SUV or a BMW, that to be driving a Corolla is somehow un-American. It's really thick here in the 'burbs. That since I'm not driving something like that, I must be lying about what I'm doing and how much I make. I've been hearing comments like that since my very first job back in 1977. Being a wastrel and spendthrift used to be un-American, but now days, being thrifty is somehow wrong. Usually I find out it's some goofus liberal feeding me this line of bull, too, which keeps proving my point that we ought to change the medication we've got them on, because what they're on now obviously isn't working.
Charles of Schaumburg.
     snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net "n5hsr" writes:

Agreed on most of what you said: even during brief (3-4 weeks at a time) visits to the US, particularly the delights of LA roads, I marvel at some of the daft shenanigans. But I think you will find not a few goofus conservatives are at it too -- frantically guarding what they regard as the American Way Of Life (the high consumption way), while the rest of us slowly develop the arts and sciences of conserving what it is that makes a decent way of life possible. Conservation isn't about living miserable lives, just not wasting. And it has supporters in all political camps.
--
Andrew Stephenson

"n5hsr" writes:

I've made conservation a hobby. My wife backs me up 100%. Yesterday I noticed our on-demand K1 H2O heater didn't turn on at all while everyone took their showers. The heater is a miser on it's own merit but the secret to our extremely low fuel usage is the solar collectors. I got ribbed a lot when they were installed 25 years ago, the negativity amounted to I could have put the money in the bank and paid for the fuel from the interest (at the time 5%). Well, we all know that type of interest isn't around anymore. The K1 water heater cost $2000 and a typical hot water heater cost about 10%-15% of that back then but with all the new regulations a typical hot water heater runs installed for about $1100 and you still have to keep your fingers crossed the tank won't leak (or burst). I love my front load washer. I REALLY love my chlorine generator for my pool. Have you seen the cost of chlorine lately? It jumped from $1.59 last year to $2.59 a pound this year. I designed and built my own solar collector for the pool about 7 or 8 years ago using 3/4 inch copper and safety glass but had to disconnect it because it was too difficult to control total chlorine, and the water got too hot; had to run the filter at night just to cool the pool. I live in Massachusetts, who would of thought!! Not only is conservation fun for me, staying the speed limit is a fun challenge. I'd rather put up with a tail gator than to have to be on the constant look out for a cop ahead. I'm not against the police or any government entity I just don't want any interaction with them. Thanks for reading this. It took my mind off the real estate tax bill I just got in the mail. mark_
mark_digital, 4/2/2006,7:31:47 PM, wrote:

With all the "green" stuff in your house how come the local government isn't giving you any tax breaks?
"n5hsr" writes:

My complaint is more the frequency than the amount. Some old folks complained bi-annual payments were difficult for them, so the town said "sure, we'll send out the bills four times a year". And as you probably guess, it was easier for the town to raise the rates almost unnoticed because the statements were one/half less than before. I do get a tax break on the solar. mark_
     snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com "mark_digital" writes:

Is there the remotest chance that tax inspectors will ever become an endangered species? Should we be conserving _them_? ;-)
--
Andrew Stephenson

"mark_digital" writes:

I hope to see him the next time around (I think he said in about ten years). He's a nice reasonable guy. I better not say anymore. My bill could have been worst.
mark_
All kinds of ecocars are selling like hotcakes in Sweden Increased 540% in march They are up to 15% of the total

Check the Illinois Vehicle Code statutes to be sure - and remember the Official Motto of Chicago, "Vote early and often." ;-) Some big companies, unions or trade association just might have greased the right palms in the statehouse and gotten an exemption through. That, or word got around that they can sign the 'non-commercial use affidavit' with their fingers crossed and it doesn't count.
If you ever see a SUV Van or Pickup with [passenger car tags on it in real commercial service and you know it's against the law, write down the license, take pictures if you can to show the company signs plastered on the side (and the stacks of Stuff in the back and the ladders on the rack) and call your local DMV office - they want to know.
(And the pictures are to shut up the 'Alligator Tears' complaints when they guy cleans out the truck and removes the magnetic signs before driving to the meeting, feigning total innocence.)
In California you can get passenger car tags on a pickup truck or cargo van - even a Class 7 Semi Tractor if you tow a large 5th wheel camping trailer - that would normally register commercial. But you have to have a permanent shell or hard tonneau cover on the back of a pickup, and sign an affidavit that this vehicle will never be used to carry cargo or passengers for hire, or to be used for any commercial purposes. Big fine if they catch you cheating, plus the difference in the back registration fees.
And there's even a bit of an advantage to having commercial plates - you get to park in that "15 Minute Loading Zone" - you're working...
--<< Bruce >>--
Electrician for Westend Electric - CA726700

The Illinois Vehicle Code, Chapter 95 1/4 of the Illinois Revised Statues defines a pickup truck as a Second Division vehicle. Period. If it was for non-comm use, it would get RV tags, not passenger tags here. Illinois doesn't have a 'non-comm' exemption form like Ontario and California. That's the way the law has worked since 1969. And the demarcation between First and Second Division was pretty well fixed in July 1920, and hasn't changed much since then, except vans are cars now.
Charles of Schaumburg.

You mean like pulling up to the pump next to you and only putting in a dollars worth while you struggle for the second time in a week to fill your car? Hehehe I do that all the time. It's fun.
My main mode of transport gets over 45mpg and my secondary mode gets 30. I don't think I'm too far behind you there, boy.