Strange Toyota Hat - "With Pleasure Behind Arudder" ???

I bought $3.00 hat at a flea market today, but I don't understand what it means. It has "TOYOTA" emblazoned beneath the familiar Toyota "Black Pearl" logo, but then there's a slogan that I just can't figure out: "With Pleasure Behind Arudder". To the right of that, there's what appears to be a tachometer with the digits 0 through 7 edged in red, and then from 7 to 8 and beyond edged in green!

The hat was made in China, as were all the items sold by this vendor. I know that often when translated from a foreign language, sometimes instructions and advertising text gets a little mixed up, or it doesn't quite translate into English with the same meaning, so that's probably the case here. I considered that perhaps instead of "Arudder" they meant "A Rudder" and it referred to Toyota boat engines. But even that doesn't make sense since a rudder is at the back of a boat so there shouldn't be anything "Behind" it.

If someone knows of such a Toyota advertising slogan used in another country, I would love to know what it means. Also, is there any significance to the tachometer with what should be it's "red zone" marked in green? Or, is it simply all a big mistake and that's why they were being sold for only $3.00?

Elmer

Reply to
Elmer

It is probably referring to being behind a steering wheel. Search for that phrase on Google and also search for the phrase with a space between "a" and "rudder".

I would guess the correct colloquial translation from whatever the source language might be is "Driving Pleasure".

Reply to
larwe

Sounds like a knockoff hat with Genuine Chinese "Engrish" writing on it. They sell stuff like that in China all the time - doesn't matter that the sellers don't have it right, they can't read it. And the buyers don't know what it says either, all they know is that 'stuff with English Writing on it is cool'.

By the way, an outboard engine is "behind" the rudder if you are looking from the rear. But that's still a stretch.

And even at $3, its still a rip.

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

If the hat is being sold a at a flea market, it is probably rip-off that is infringing on Toyota's trademark and had nothing to do with Toyota anywhere.

Reply to
Ray O

?? Our engine was *above* the gearbox and there was no rudder, technically the gearbox and skeg act as a rudder but are not there solely for that purpose, lol.

Reply to
Coyoteboy