Tacoma Alternator Light comes on intermittently

The alternator warning light comes on intermittently on this new (06) truck, stays on for a few seconds, or a few minutes, goes on & off erratically like that for anywhere from a minute or two up to 10-20 minutes - then goes for long periods without coming on at all. Happens at idle as well as freeway speeds. So far I haven't had a dead battery or any other problems, because it doesn't seem to last long enough to affect the charge or the engine. Sometimes if it's cruising at freeway speed & the light is on, it will go off it I touch the accelerator a little harder, so it does seem to be a charging problem, rather than just a simple problem with the light.

This looks like one of those electrical things that's going to be hard to find. I'm wondering what to look for.

Any ideas?

Reply to
Rhett Starr

You are correct that it will probably be hard to find. Look for the Toyota dealer where you bought the truck and let the pros fix it under warranty. That problem could be anything from a bad voltage regulator, bad ground, a short to the warning light, loose cable, loose belt, bad alternator.

Reply to
Ray O

I had something similar happen with my 84' Toyota awhile ago. It turned out to be the alternator, it had to be rebuilt.

The problem was that the little brushes inside the alternator where worn, and if you tapped on the alternator it would start working for a short time.

Reply to
Ken LaCroix

Also, make sure the Big wire nut is tight.

Reply to
Bo Yancey