Tire Pressure Check

I just bought a new Toyota. I'm being told to check my tire pressure every month or even week. Is this really necessary? How often should
you really check your tire pressure, if you're doing normal driving? That is, about 10 thousand miles per year.
What are some telltale signs of driving with too little tire pressure? Bobbing when going over hills? Not enough mileage? Any more specific signs of tires not being inflated sufficiently?

I check mine maybe twice a year. When I get oil changes I think the Toyota service guy checks them too. Once a week seems silly unless you have a slow leak then you should have it fixed.
Cheers
--
Carpetbagger: a political candidate who seeks election
in an area where they have no local connections.
Drive A Way < wrote:

No more than it is necessary to keep your feet away from other people's feet when using the bathroom stall.

Once a week. I fill my gas tank once a week and check my tires while the gas tank is being filled. And almost every week, the air pressure is 1 to 3 psi low in at least one tire.

How fast air leaks out of the tires is not dependent on how many miles are driven.

Premature tire wear, tire blowouts.

Poor gas mileage is another problem.
> Any more specific

Low reading on the tire gauge.
My suggestion: get an electronic tire gauge at Walmart or Target. They are only a few bucks. Use it every week. It only takes five minutes.
Jeff
snip

snip
You really should get that slow leak fixed. Or is this one of the tires on your bike?
Virus Database (VPS): 000771-2, 09/02/2007

Could be a leaking schrader valve too. Put a little spit on it and may see some bubbles.
Bike tires need to be checked often.

Every time one rides, it seems. And mine need a 10psi boost every week, no matter what. Probably a combination of high pressure and small volume makes the change more noticeable than in a car.
Are you using Kevlar-reinforced tires?

On one of my bikes I have replaced the tire with Kevlar. I carry a air pump and spare tube and changing tools with me. I've had a couple occasions where I had to change a tube a few miles out. It's just as easy to change as to patch.

So far, I've been lucky.
I have a spare tube, tube patches and an air pump onboard....
I'd bet the first time I get as smart as Joey, and leave them at home....I'd need them....LOL
--
Scott in Florida

Ancient Rome declined because it had a Senate;

I'm using Kevlar-reinforced tires, but I think it is the tube that loses air, not the tire.
I lose about 10 pounds a week on my mountain bike.
--
Scott in Florida

Ancient Rome declined because it had a Senate;

I tend to agree with that and as barry notes, with narrow, low-volume tires, even testing may make a difference.
I mention Kevlar because I'm sold on them. I've only had one flat since switching and that seemed to be caused by a bad tube, not a puncture. Adding a little air every week is not a big deal but a flat along the commute is a major nuisance. Kevlar tires seem to be just amazing for puncture prevention. I've been forced, on more than one occasion, to ride over glass. Formerly, that would be a ride-ending situation but with the Kevlar, I just keep going.
For dbu's information, I first got a set at Erik's (Twin Cities bike shop chain) when they were promoting them and they were less than a comparable regular tire. I bought them for price but would not switch back at any price. Kinda' like Toyotas.

I presume you mean from the bike tires... 10 lbs from my *spare* tire... I wish.

Erik's a good place. I've been to the one in Richfield.

LOL...yes that is what I meant...
I'm with you on Kevlar tires.
No problems since I switched.
--
Scott in Florida

Ancient Rome declined because it had a Senate;
DH wrote:

And what goes into the pump hose when you connect it.

True that....
On a mountain bike, it isn't much, but I'd imagine a road bike would be a lot percentage wise.
--
Scott in Florida

Ancient Rome declined because it had a Senate;

Bike tires lose pressure just from the action of attaching and removing the gauge - too small a volume. Especially the "Racing" or "Road bike" super skinny tires.
That one calls for the Thumb Test before each ride - push on the tire and check the pressure that way. Calibrate your thumb, and you'll feel it when it's too low to ride.
I prefer my bike tires to have big numbers, like 27"x2-3/8" thank you. A bit expensive since you have to go to a Schwinn dealer, but even without suspension the old balloon tires ride SO much better...
--<< Bruce >>--
On Tue, 04 Sep 2007 12:47:22 -0700, Bruce L. Bergman

LOL....your age is showing, Bruce!
....and I agree.
--
Scott in Florida

Ancient Rome declined because it had a Senate;

They don't quite make em like they used to.. I had one that had a psuedo gas tank with headlights, "rocket exhaust" rear end which doubled to carry junk, and was generally the bike equal to a 59 cadillac.. :/ Course, in my later school years, those became pretty lame, and most went for the "banana bikes" which were basically copying choppers. All had the usual "banana" seats, and high handlebars. Even Schwinn had their version which usually cost quite a bit more than the other brands like Huffy, etc.. Then, those died out and it was the sporty ten speeds with the skinny tires that would blow out if you hit a curb hard. :( But.. They were the fastest.. I had one that was so light you could lift it with your pinky finger. Much less effort needed to propel, and you got to speed much quicker. But for just putting around, it's hard to beat one of those old 50's 60's "cadillac" bikes.. :) Now, it seems the 10 speeds have become lame, and most go for the small "mountain" bikes.. Which are basically like the "banana" bikes we all used in the later 60's. I guess the mountain bikes are like banana bikes on steroids.. :/ MK
On Tue, 04 Sep 2007 15:08:37 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@wt.net wrote:

LOL...
My mountain bike is a 21 speed, but it is pretty large.
It is the 'old' style that does not have shocks on either the front or back.
I use it to ride mostly on road, so I don't need anything fancy.
It is very comfortable and I can count on it getting me there and back.
--
Scott in Florida

Ancient Rome declined because it had a Senate;
On Tue, 04 Sep 2007 20:38:21 GMT, Scott in Florida

I'm not THAT old, I've just owned a "Classic Collectable" Schwinn Corvette bicycle (3-speed Sturmey Archer hub) since the days it was just an "old POS". If it ain't broke, keep it. Same with the Corvair.
Now if my older brother had kept all /his/ toys, we'd be all set - A clean unrestored but complete 55-56-57 Chevy Sedan is $30K, and he had a half dozen, with another dozen that have also appreciated nicely. He did the math: if he had stuck all the halfway decent cars in a barn instead of selling them for cheap, he'd have $1M plus in the bank.
--<< Bruce >>--
On Tue, 04 Sep 2007 20:39:36 -0700, Bruce L. Bergman

Older brothers aren't always smarter....LOL
--
Scott in Florida

About all I can say for the United States Senate