Toyota Clutch Petal Bracket Breakage

I see that this is a small group, but i suspect that it will grow.

I have a 91 Toyota 4x4 in which the clutch bracket just broke for the second time. The reason that toyota has these parts in stock is because this is becoming a very common problem on what appears to be

1990 through 1994. T100, Pickups, and i would guess 4-Runners too given they are all the same.

This time the broken bracket tore a hole in the fire wall, that now needs to be spot welded. The total cost is likely to mount towards $600 or more. Given the this is the second time, its quite upsetting.

My goal here however is to encourage people to report this problem to Toyota customer relations.

Phone: 800-331-4331 Mon - Fri, 5:00 am - 6:00 pm PT Sat, 7:00 am - 4:00 pm PT Fax: 310-468-7814

With enough complaints they will acknowledge this as a defect in the truck and issue a recall. The replacement brackets are suppose to be "stronger", but given that it broke again i have doubts. Make sure you have your VIN and record the reference number from your case when reporting.

The goal would be that at some point toyota would back credit you for this repair if they decide to expect their crappy engineering. This could be very key for one student who at this point has a credit care devoted fully to car expenses :-(.

Hope this helps people.

Sam

Reply to
s4wilson

The 89-93 Celica Alltrac also has this problem very frequently. But spot welding this bracket is a $40 job at your local engineering firm.

Coyoteboy