toyota starting problems

I have a 92 toyota camry. My engine will turn over but won't start. I have no spark to the coil, so I checked the igniter mounted on the fender and have voltage to the igniter, but from the igniter to the coil I have no voltage. I have replaced the igniter but it didn't help. Is there any other relay switches that I should check? i was thinking of the nutural safety switch but the engine does turn over. tom

Reply to
thebarrs4

I would see if you have a signal from ignitor to coil. This is a grounding and opening of coil by ignitor. Usually with key on engine not running you should have 12 volts at pos side of coil, and also 12 volts at negative side of coil because coil is not grounded. If you can get an oscilloscope or bar of a digital VOM you can look at signal from ECM to coil to see if it is pulsing the ignitor. Do you have a conventional coil? If you can find an electrical diagram you can test all wires of ignitor. When you crank it with the plugs removed or with the plugs installed do you smell gas. If you don't maybe the rpm or cranking signal is absent from the distributor to the computer. Usually this signal is in the distributor for older Toyotas.

Reply to
edokamoto

The spark does not go to the coil. Current goes from the coil to the distributor to the spark plugs, which generates the spark. I recommend that you invest in a repair manual for the car and go through the step-by-step diagnostics.

The neutral safety switch is not bad.

Reply to
Ray O