1990 Camry LE

I have a bad driver's side rear strut.Do I need to replace both, and then I am told I need to have the wheels aligned? I just bought this car and it is 19 years young with 90,000 miles on it. It is in near showroom condition. Is there any advantage to replacing the rear struts with the "quick struts" that contain both the spring and strut replacement thus saving labor to depress the springs the "old way"? Any suggestions about adding a cd player, either an add on or replace the entire unit or add the multi changer like in the truck? Thanks for all the advise in advance. Dale Rockland, Maine

Reply to
Dale

=== Yes. You should do both sides, just as you would change both sides for brakes or tires to equalize characteristics on each side. == and

== Yes. You need to have alignment checked and adjusted as needed anytime you replace suspension components. == Is there any advantage to replacing the rear

The advantage to Toyota parts is that you're maintaining original equipment in quality, operating characteristics and fit. Personally, I've found harsh ride on aftermarket struts, but as you say, the "all in one" is easier to install because you don't need a spring compressor or serparate parts like the rubber boot, spring and strut mount. I always go with original parts, your choice. ==

== See Crutchfield.com to find an Alpine unit that fits your model. If you get MP3 capability, you probably don't need a CD changer because a single disk holds so much music. == , either an add on or replace

Reply to
Daniel

The Monroe QuickStruts are cost effective if you start to replace a lot of parts. It's likely a 19 year young car would benefit from it. However, I do prefer the Gabriel Ultra strurts over the Toyota (now likely all KYBs, aka "Keep Your Bilsteins") or the Monroe Sensatrac used in the QuickStrut. However, the Monroe Reflex is said to be pretty good and will be phased in to replace Sensatracs. I don't think the KYBs, with their primitive valving, are even worth my time putting in.

I am happy to get to use the Gabriel Ultra with multi-stage inertia sensitive valving. Installed myself with Monroe strut mounts (re-used everything else but not likely in yours). AutoZone has 50% off 2nd Ultra or buy-3-get-1-free coupons at times. Lifetime warranty, comfortable ride and good control, and the price is right. Good deal.

Check out the Gabriel G-force video whether you buy it or not:

johngdole

Get an Alpine either way. Check

Or better yet, get an Alpine or Pioneer 6-disc CD/DVD player with touch screen for your near-showroom-condition car. :) :) :)

Make sure your factory head unit can interface and control a CD changer. You may need an interface from

johngdole