1993 toyota oil leak ???

I have a 1993 Toyota Camry, 210,000 miles, that just sprung an oil leak at the oil filter base. The leak appears to coming from the base that the oil filter screws on to. I was wondering if anyone has seen this before and if this is something that I can repair, is this a part I can order from the dealer. What is the official technical name of this base. Thanks Pete

Reply to
Agapito

Why not try a new oil filter first, maybe the one you have was not put on right or is defective.

Reply to
m Ransley

Let's assume you have the four cylinder (not stated otherwise) - at the base of the oil filter is an oil cooler through which circulates coolant - if you look more closely you'll see the lines from the water bypass tubes off the water pump leading to the oil cooler at the base of the oil filter. There's a large fitting at the center of the oil filter through which filtered oil returns to the engine - that's what you loosen to access the oil cooler and remove and replace the gasket under it. If you do this, just leave the coolant line attached. I think there may also be one additional smaller bolt off to the side.

Reply to
Daniel

If you have a 6 cylinder, there is a O-ring almost as big as the filter that needs to be replaced. There are two bolts that hold the adapter to the block that the filter screws onto. Once you have the adapter off you will easily see the O-ring. About 2 bucks at the dealership for the O-ring.

Reply to
Mike2006

Reply to
Agapito
97+ engines don't have the oil coolers (cost cutting). Maybe that's why the engines started getting oil sludge. Think Toyota put them back in now?
Reply to
johngdole