1998 camry XLE - driver door won't unlock

This morning my driver's door "broke". It failed to unlock/open from the outside. Neither the key-fob or the key work. I can open the door from the inside and the auto-lock button on the driver's door console does work.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Grant

Reply to
mgb

Try some WD-40 in the lock (be generous with it). If that does not work, it looks like a trip to the dealer.

Reply to
Mark A

try the wd-40-but it sounds bad-I had that problem ina 99 camry-dealer said a little plastic clip or something was broken and replaced it..now it works fine-can't find the receipt-don't remember what it cost-sorry

Reply to
M.Balarama

WD 40 is no help a-tall. The problem is that there's a little rod that hooks into another bracket and that opens the door from the outside. It's held on by a little fastener that sometimes pops off, and lets the rod fall away from the bracket. If you're handy and don't mind taking the inner door panel off, which isn't too bad a job, you'll quickly see what's happened when you pull on the outer door handle. You'll need to replace that little fastener onto the end of the rod, once you've placed the rod and bracket together. If this sounds intimidating, take it to the dealer...it's about 1/2 hour to

1 hour's work, which is largely in taking off the door panel. Forget the WD 40...it'll just make things oily.
Reply to
mack

Well, it did turn out to be a clip that holds the rod. A quick trip to the garage and $75 to fix.

Reply to
mgbannister