2002 Camry V6 Reverse to Drive "Clunk" Solution?

Hi, I just got a used Toyota Certified 2002 Camry XLE V6 in like new condition, that was manufactured in 8/2001 in Kentucky. I really like the car except for one thing. When I back out of the driveway, and put it in drive, I get a hard "clunk" from the transmission. When I start the car, I let it run for 30 seconds to a minute before backing out of the garage. It doesn't do this when it's warmed up I've read of this problem on Google, and I see various Technical Service Bulletins that might apply. MY QUESTION: Will somebody who had a PERSONAL EXPERIENCE with this same problem, pass along to me exactly what was done to fix this problem? Which Technical Service Bulletin(s) by number, had the fix for this problem? I want to be armed with sufficient knowledge about this. If possible, could you email me a copy of any reply made to this? Thanks in advance for any info, Ed

Reply to
Ed D.

See when the transmission fluid was last changed. I notice the transmissions shifts more smoother after a fluid drain and fill service. I change the fluid every 40,000 KM (25,000 miles).

Ed D. wrote:

Reply to
Car Guy

Ed, My situation is similar, but not the same. I have a 4 cylinder

2002 that was made in November in Georgetown, KY.

Everytime I put the transmission into Drive from Neutral, it would clunk. it didn't matter whether it was warmed up or ice cold.

My Dealer diagnosed it and discovered a flaw in the casting at the shift solenoid for first gear. The flaw was a ragged hole in the side wall of the solenoid cylinder. It was not repairable. The hole cut the "o-ring", so the solenoid was not working as it was supposed to. They had the alternative of moving all the transmission "guts" to a new case or a complete transmission replacement. Since a new case was not available, a new transmission was available, and would have involved much more work, they replaced the transmission with a brand new one.

It has been silky smooth since then.

I know that the conditions are not exactly the same and I don't even know if the I4 and the V6 use the same 4 speed automatic transmission. Anyway, I hope you get something useful out of this.

PS: My dealer was Voss Toyota in Xenia, Ohio (near Dayton) and I recommend them completely. I moved to South Carolina 6 months ago, and I miss them, but not Winter.

Ken - West Union, SC Population 270 + 2 (counting dogs and chickens) "There are 2 theories to arguing with a woman...neither works." - Will Rodgers

Reply to
RunnerBiker

Hi Ed,

I just bought a 2002 certified Camry SE V6 and I am having the exact same problem...only in the morning and after first reversing out of the driveway. I will be bringing it in to be fixed but would like to know if you have found an answer before I do so. Thanks...JIM

Reply to
Bluebyu

My wife's 02 V6 does exact the same. There is a TSB for transmission poor shift quality. TSB number:EG013R-01 issued date: AUG 02. regard: A/T - Poor Shift Quality.

I have the AT computer upgraded by dealer but it doesn't help. I just have to live with it. It's my wife's car, she has had no complaint, but she doesn't know better. I just have to curse it as it happens when I drive it.

John

Reply to
J Guan