'92 camry , ignition problem.........

my '92 camry won't start. ignition coil resistance checked okey. i suspected the igniter but i cann't find an autopart dealers [including toyota dealer] to check this very expensive parts. i don't have a scope and my haynes manual not showing how to check this part. please, if anybody out there had the same problem and how solve this problem... thanks

Reply to
clairecon

I recently fixed a no spark problem in an '89 4 cylinder. I numerous check I thought it was the ignitor -- but it wasn't. I doubt you will find anyplace that can test them. First question: Have you jumpered the diagnosis connector and checked for trouble codes ?

Reply to
jimhigh66

I recently fixed a no spark problem in an '89 four cylinder. After a number of checks I thought it was the ignitor and it wasn't. First question: Have you jumpered the diagnosis connector to see if the check engine light is showing trouble codes ?

Reply to
jimhigh66

If you're going to keep the car, and work on it yourself, try to find the Toyota factory repair manuals. Try searching eBay over time. If you're getting no spark, there's a trouble shooting flow chart that goes step by step, including the pick up coils in the distributor and also signals between the igniter and ECM, checking connections, etcetera. If you really think it is the igniter, try substituting one from a wrecking yard. At least you don't have an intermittent condition. By following the proper test procedures, the problem can be isolated and corrected.

Reply to
Daniel M. Dreifus

You could do a basic check to see if there is battery volts getting to the igniter. If you cant use a multimeter or dont have one, try buying one of those $1 or $2 automotive test lights, They come in a bubble pack from most discount barns. Follow the instructions which basically say to connect the wire lead to negative or earth (any major part of the body), then using the screwdriver type probe (with the small bulb/lamp inside) touch each of the coil contacts. If there is no volts there,..try and source any volts on the igniter.

Turn the ignition to ON while doing this test.

Jason

Reply to
Jason James

On Fri, 01 Oct 2004 02:43:07 GMT, clairecon wrote: to all that responsed, found out that my ignition coil resistance was out of specs. replaced the coil and fixed the start problem. thank y'all......

Reply to
clairecon

My problems with this same car turned out to be oil leaking into the plug terminals where they connect to the plug. I'm not alone in having this problem.

Reply to
mrbhanks
4 cil? Plugs are on top right, How did you get oil in there? t would be all over the motor if that was true. I once changed my plugs and did not tighten one fully, a bit of blowby gas made it look like oil. Change plugs and use a Torque wrench
Reply to
m Ransley

There are OIL SEALS pressed into the valve cover that seal the spark plug tubes from engine oil. When they leak, replace 'em. Toyota is a bit proud of those four seals.

--

  -Philip
Reply to

In my case it was 1 improperly torqued plug, recently I replaced them with no sign of the previous residue.

Reply to
m Ransley