92 Camry Key won't unlock/start

The key for my 92 Camry will not turn. It will unlock the steering column, but will not turn to even the "ACC" mark. Does anyone have an idea as to how much a new ignition will cost, including labor?

Reply to
mcjohn

They sometimes stick a shot of silicone spray and work the key a few times to loosen it up.

Reply to
ROBMURR

Do you have the original key code?

Even without it, dealer may be able to work from the vin# to recreate original key profile. Had a new key cut with the original profile as preventative maintenance last year, didn't even look like the same key, due to wear on the original, but they assured me that was the correct profile. Shortly thereafter, I dropped my keys on a concrete garage floor, broke the plastic top, and substituted the replacement. Works fine. Common advice for a key that sticks in the ignition: try a new key. Keys wear down with use. Mechanic told me this on my 1977 Toyota truck, and I already had spares for it - also still working fine.

Reply to
Daniel M. Dreifus

Part II

I also use a small aerosol can of graphited lock spray I've had since

1976 with a curved plastic spray tube. Got it a Pep Boys. Still half full. Carrier oil and graphite. Works on household locks, too. And gets applied to the car locks maybe once a year.
Reply to
Daniel M. Dreifus

Yes dirt in the lock and a worn key address both issues

Reply to
m Ransley