96 Camry Key Comes Out Even if shifter is in Drive

My 1996 camry has about 105,000 miles on it. Lately, I am able to turn of the engine and remove the key even if the aut trans shifter is in D. The key is only supposed to come out if the shifter is in P. Otherwise the car runs great and has no problems. Does anyone know what is the cause of this and if there is a simple fix? A few mechanics told me to change the key/lock cylinder for several hundred $s but first, I want to be sure if this problem has anything to do with the key cylinder. Thanks for any suggestion. D

Reply to
Dawson

You might try electronic cleaner sprayed in the lock, disconecting the battery for at least an hour might be a dood idea

Reply to
m Ransley

Is your only key worn out?

Reply to
m Ransley

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Sorry, but I fail to see the "problem" here. Simply don't withdraw the key unless you put the shifter into "park" first. end of problem. It's a little like complaining that you can remove a knife from the knife drawer in the kitchen and draw the blade across your throat......just don't do it and you'll be fine.

Reply to
mack

m Ransley ha escrito:

Thanks m Ransley. Both keys are in good condition and even the third/spare key cut from Walmart is in excellent condition. What kind of electronic cleaner would you recommend? Would WD40 qualify? If not, can you recommend a branded cleaner?

Reply to
Dawson

mack ha escrito:

Thanks Mack. Initially I thought this was no problem, until my wife recently left the car parked in "Drive" on an incline. The car rolled backward and almost caused an accident. Got me thinking to fix the problem if it is possible to fix. Besides, if this is the start of a major electrical or trans problem it would be nice to know and get a fix before it's too late. Thanks for your comment.

Reply to
Dawson

Obviously you are not used to driving "heaps." This happens in many cars as the cylinder ages and wears.

The only solution is to either live with it, which I have done with many cars over the years, or spend the money on a new lock set, which I have refused to do with many cars over many years.

I actually find it quite handy at times....ie...to leave the car running and access the trunk, etc.

Reply to
timbirr
"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Ah, I think I see the problem....a little driver education, including how to set the parking brake, as well as leaving the transmission in Park. I see your point about avoiding major trouble, but I think the key problem stands by itself. Thanks for your reply!

Reply to
mack

Electronics cleaner from radio shack, not wd 40

Reply to
m Ransley