99 camry: hidden amp?

Anyone know where the audio amplifier is on the '99 Camry CE? (I've got the one with the tape player.) A google search said the amp might be under one of the front seats; Crutchfield said it's close to the passenger door. Anyone have a more specific location? Haynes says nothing on the topic...

Reply to
onehappymadman

Thanks a bunch!

- one very happy madman

Reply to
onehappymadman

Would a wiring harness (like this one from wal mart) properly bypass this amp?

If not, how do I bypass the amp myself? (Which wires go where...?)

Reply to
onehappymadman

Oopsey that link doesn't work... try entering "1021183" in the "Search for..." box.

Reply to
onehappymadman

Probably not. Those Scosche harnesses are for replacing the head unit only.

Have you seen the connectors on the amp? I am willing to bet they are not the same, but I could be wrong.

What are you trying to accomplish here? I am assuming you want to replace the head unit and bypass the amp. Are yu replacing the speakers also? If so, just rewire the speakers using a heavy gauge speaker wire. You'll need some kind of snake to run the wires through the rubber thingys in the doors.

As far as the amp wiring, you could fabricate something that will work. Try to find some matching contacts for the connector, and wire it from the input harness to the output harness, or just take the wiring right from the head unit, crimp the matching connetors onto your home made wiring harness and hook it up.

As long as you don't screw around with the contacts too much, they will be tight enough to hold until you sell the car. Oh, and put shrink wrap over the contacts; we don't want anything shorting out back there!

Also, make the wires long enough to make a loop, and then Zip Tie the loop to the existing harness, so it won't pull apart for some reason.

Reply to
Hachiroku

Yup, replacing the head unit, bypassing the amp, but not replacing the speakers. (Although the idea of using heavier gauge speaker wire is a good one... I think I might have to try that on my '96 camry.)

Is it really necessary to bypass the amp? I'm guessing the amp won't be too happy seeing an input of 22+ watts RMS.

I'm trying to understand exactly how the wiring works for the amp. I guess I'll find out more once I take the glove box out...

Reply to
onehappymadman

The weirdest thing. I went ahead and bought a JVC MP3/CD player from Best Buy (it was on sale, $99) and a wiring harness from Wal-Mart for $7. It seems to work fine in the '99 Camry CE.

So, do I *not* have an amp in my '99 Camry?

If I *did*, would the sound be guaranteed to sound like crap? Or is the amplifier happily amplifying the signal from my JVC KD-G220, 18W RMS?

Reply to
onehappymadman

Thanks a bunch. Looks like

was wrong about the amp.