99 Camry Wiper Motor Problem

My daughter just called, her wiper motor quit in the middle of this ice/snow storm we're having. I'm guessing that there's just too much ice on the arms and the motor overheated, but the police won't let her sit in the car on the highway. That's probably a good decision, but the car is going to have to be towed.

IIRC, there is a thermal switch of some sort in the motor that kicks out if it gets too hot. Based on that, I'm guessing that by morning, all will be fine. If that's not the case, are there any other things I can look for?

Thanks,

Gary

Reply to
Garys2

See if the rubber bushing let go and dropped the connecting rod...

Reply to
hachiroku

Fortunately it turned out to be the amount of snow that got between the hood and the cowl and then froze. Once I got that out, the wipers worked fine.

Gary

Reply to
Garys2

That's a relief!

Reply to
Ken Peterson

A big relief. I only had to pay for the tow and AAA will reimburseme me for that.

Gary

Reply to
Garys2

Garys2 wrote: || m Ransley wrote: ||| A Fuse ||| || || Fortunately it turned out to be the amount of snow that got between || the hood and the cowl and then froze. Once I got that out, the || wipers worked fine. || || Gary

Did you find that the motor is noisier than before? That happened to my wife. Wipers still work but, oh boy, that wiper motor is a lot noisier, even after my bud, a Toyota tech, took the bushings in the linkage apart and relubed them.

Reply to
Liberal|sarl|airs|

Most of the time my wiper quit, it was because of the amount of snow. On my Tercel I haerd a *SNAP*, but when the ice melted they worked fine again. The only time I ever had to make a repair was once when the bushing fell of on my Celica. New bushing, and snap it together.

Check out alt.autos.toyota for a discussion of the Chrysler setup...

Reply to
hachiroku

No, work just as they did before.

Gary