Brake problem 1989 Le ..HELP

Hey its a great car .. my late fathers .. so I want to get it going ..its been sitting awhile

I pulled the emergency brake too hard and it stuck on !! Then I tried to get the brake to release by putting on the juice brakes but a line burst (centre rear) I took the rear wheels off to see if I could free the hubs but the calipers seem ok .. the inner hub moves... one side emergency brake line has been cut.

I can't move the car out of underground garage because the wheels are locked !! ... I suppose the front wheels are locked as well or have an em.brake there too ..??

Yup the engine revs .. seems no power will turn those wheels .. transmission is locked ?? no fluid? not sure .. any help or where to look ??

thanks a lot for all help Fraser

Reply to
frasser-at-gmail-dot-com

Its an old car the brake line was rusted as was mine when it broke, and the fuel line will do the same soon, it may only be the rear brakes locked. but you CAN NOT drive it anyway, you have no brakes , the fluid is leaking on the hydraulic and the parking brake doesnt work. You have to fix it in place meaning replacing the brake line and freeing up the parking brake. See if you can get it towed

Reply to
ransley

but you CAN NOT drive it anyway, you have nobrakes,

Thanks .. looks like I need to take calipers off to free the wheels .. wow .. never such a problem with drum brakes. I think the front brakes should work ..double master cylinder.. one for front one for rear. Being underground adds complication to get towed .. just need to get to street

thx fr

Reply to
frasser-at-gmail-dot-com

If the hydraulic line broke then the piston may have stuck in the applied position. Do BOTH brake discs rotate? If so your parking brakes are free. Remove the caliper if you need to and rotate the hub. That way if the caliper is in the applied position you'll know which one. Needless to say you can raise one rear wheel at a time while exercise necessary caution. Of course if the brake line broke then it's not safe to drive.

The steel parking brake lines are easy to replace if you're mechanically inclined or have a friend who is. You can order hydraulic lines from the dealer or parts store and flush/bleed the system free of air.

Reply to
johngdole

I dont think so, when my 91 camry brake line broke i was on the road with NO brakes except a handbrake-parkingbrake. You will have No brake and will crash after a few pedal pumps.

Reply to
ransley

I forgot to say, I Did Crash when my line broke, and there was no warning, but not bad, and I made it home with the parking brake

Reply to
ransley