Clutch slipping. Clutch cyl or need a new clutch

Today i was leaving school and i gave it alittle and i din?t notice any thing at the time. but when i when to start going again the clutch started to chatter. The clutch pedal was easy to push down too. on my ride home at one time the clutch pedal was kinda sticking....do i need a new clutch or do i need to adjust something... please help me out its a 1985 bmw 325e

Reply to
bobbob1015

Clutch slipping or chattering, you think clutch plates, but the easy to push thing says clutch cylinders.

If you're like most people, the brake fluid in the clutch cylinders is

*original*. I would start by changing the whole brake fluid supply and the bleeding out the cylinders until they come out clean.

-Russ.

Reply to
Somebody

You didn't give us any history, so if I assume that the clutch you have today is the 2nd one, it is 10 years old. time alone is no indicator that the clutch is worn out, but if you drive an average of 15,000 miles per year, then you have 150,000 miles on it. If the clutch is the original one, then you have well in excess of 200,000 miles, and are approaching 300,000 miles. In any case, it sounds like you need a new clutch.

Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse:

Jeff Strickland

This job is alot like bleeding brakes, by the way.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Depends how drive. II have never worn a clutch out in any manual car I had and did lots of miles.

Reply to
R. Mark Clayton

Yes, really a lot like it, since it is the same fluid supply. Most people drain and bleed their brakes but there is stale brake fluid still in the clutch cylinders. Mine was a gross brownish goop -- could have been original for all I know. Never occured to me to bleed those while I was doing brake fluid.

So, I'd recommend changing the fluid and bleeding all four corners plus the clutch cylinders in the same operation.

-Russ.

Reply to
Somebody

Could be that, but I pulled my clutch out due to pilot bearing seizure, and with 340,000 km on it and a date stamp of 5/88, it could easily have gone back in. In fact it had more frictional material on it (thickness) than the brand new Sachs clutch plate I put in.

A worn plate should not affect pedal feel like that, the stroke of the pedal is controlled by the two hydraulic clutch cylinders. Slipping and stuttering, yes, but not stroke. Now, he could have both problems, but bleeding the clutch is a 1 hour job if you don't know what you're doing, and changing the clutch is a good weekend job if you have a well equipped shop and a friend who has done it before and all the parts lined up. So, I'd start with the fluid.

-Russ.

Reply to
Somebody

This is certainly true. I just replaced the original factory clutch in my '94 325i with 210,000 miles. I had a seriously worn throw out bearing that was howling badly, but the clutch plate still had a millimeter or two remaining.

I'm thinking that most people will not get the same clutch life that I get, even if there are several here that do - or get better. Odds favor a 20-year old clutch needing replacement, shit, the odds favor a clutch needing replacement by 10 years.