coolant and transmission fluid

How often should the coolant and transmission fluid be changed? I have a 97 Camry. I know what the manual says. I'd like to know what the real story is. Thanks

Reply to
steve

I would say I do it at 1/2 or less then what is recomended, look in the radiator, if there is any buildup its to late, if there is buildup it should be flushed and new fluid put in. Trans should be red, not brown. dont forget the differential, on many models it is a different fill and drain plug. Power steering can be removed with a turkey baister and Trans fluid goes in my 91, not power steering fluid.

Reply to
m Ransley

I do mine at about 25-30,000 miles. Use only Toyota coolant!

97 Camry 200,000 + miles so far.
Reply to
Rob

Reply to
steve

Coolant every two years. Tranny every 30 K if you are only changing two to three Qts. and not the torque converter. The entire system holds around fourteen Qts. Good Luck.

Reply to
W.T. MC GLYNN

Coolant at least every two years. If you do it yourself, every year if you want.

Tranny fluid, depending on driving habit. If mostly highway then 30K is fine. If mostly local then 15K is called for.

I'll change out the ATF pan gasket and strainer. Fram has a nice kit with a cork gasket, among other brands. Make sure you change the differential fluid as well.

The differential / tranny seal sometimes leak. And the differeitnal's ATF fluid will migrate to the tranny, end up costing you a differential!!!!!

Reply to
johngdole

Reply to
steve