Did I Get Taken?

Yeah, depending on the air where you drive, it may be 30K or 15K. I don't go by miles, but just kinda eyeball the filter to decide if it needs changing, which means I tend to change them out earlier because I don't want to see them get too dirty. Mine are changed around 15-20K miles.

Reply to
johngdole

Operating conditions will always determine air filter changes (both engine air and cabin). While the fine dust disrupted by the engine cooling fan on a heavy diesel tractor (you know - the tractor-trailer variety) can't be compared to the operating scenario of most passenger vehicles, I have seen vehicles that would start setting engine codes and losing air conditioning function within two working weeks on job sites such as road construction and lumber mills.

I am always amazed by the amount of crud these filters pick up. We have altered the "functions as designed" situation with air filters over the past two decades as we demand finer filtration for a variety of reasons.

Reply to
RACEGUY

15,000 miles is nothing if your driving in urban areas and on paved roads all the time , however having said THAT // if you drive on dirt roads or live in a dusty place like New Mexico or Arizona then yes it would need replacing.

I actually saw an air filter taken out of a Chevy pickup in New Mexico at a Pennzoil oil change station and it was a wonder that the truck even ran ?

It was coated with at least a half inch of dust .

Now this area in New Mexico is on the high plateau and the wind NEVER stops blowing and raising sand and dust storms .

Somehow the dust even gets through sealed windows to collect on the inner sill (Motel)

I was passing through NM and was due for an oil change and it was the only place I saw in the area where I could get a quick oil change.

Reply to
mred