Impression of our 2004 Toyota Camry LE 4 cyl

Just drove it to Florida and back to Ohio. We have about 10,000 miles on it. It had a steering problem as delivered new from the dealer. There is a tech bulletin out on this problem. Steering was stiff and a bit hard to keep straight in your lane. Had a drift to the left. Took it back to the dealer and they applied the fix the tech bulletin provided. It is now a little better but steering still isn't what I would call A-1. Still stiff and still requires a bit more consentration and attention to keep on straight line. I would grade the steering as acceptable now, but barely, and I'm not real happy with it. Another problem with this car is the air conditioning. It works, but it doesn't get real cold. We took it to the dealer and they checked it. They did nothing because they said it just met the test requirements and standards - once again, barely. They told us it will cool faster if we had the air on recirculate. I don't think we should have to do that. They either made the air conditioning cheaper, or I got a bad one.

The 4 cyl. provides enough power in most cases and the ride isn't bad. However, coming back to Ohio on I-77 in the Carolinas, Virginia, and the West Virginia Turnpike there were strong winds. With the marginal steering of this car, it was hard to keep it from sideswiping another vehicle and the was the winds were tossing it around.

Would I buy another? I think I would look for a different make that doesn't have these conditions.

Al PS - My mileage was good. (30 to 33, with regular gas, of course.)

Reply to
Al

I remember someone else complaining about that also. Others suggested the tires were the culprit. Fortunately you had a TSB deal with it.

I got the same answer about my 97 Camry. My 94 was great, even though it was early in the R-134a days.

How was the interior noise level and the quality of the controls?

Reply to
badgolferman

Our 2003 Camry 4 cyl also has poor steering stability. We changed tires, had the TSB performed. The soft suspension contributes to this mushy steering and a side-to-side rocking. Our A/C is likewise not very cold.

After driving a Subaru Outback rental, I know that quick, crisp steering in a larger vehicle is possible.

My next car will probably not be a Toyota...

Reply to
Ron

I just inherited a 2002 LE 4 from my Dad. The only issue I've seen is that the steering was wavering and sometimes pulled a little. I had the dealer check the alignment the last time I had service done and although that was $$$ at a dealer ($70), it cured the problem. My Dad drove the first 15k with the car (before I got it) in OK. The roads there are pretty much crap; potholes, nasty curbs, and really bad roads everywhere. Well, compared to super smooth CA anyway. So my theory is that the alignment was kicked pretty hard on those OK roads and that was the problem.

The car is very quiet and rolls extremely smooth. Once in a while, when I roll up the driver's side window I get a little wind noise...like it doesn't seal quite right....

I haven't had the steering problem since the service 2k ago. The AC is freezing cold after about 5 minutes running. I just did a RT from CA to OK and had no problems other than a $!*%*& sensor check engine light in the middle of the desert at 1 a.m. that freaked me out....

Oh, and the car was made in Japan.

.02

Reply to
Big Kahuna

How was the interior noise level and the quality of the controls?

Badgolferman, Interior noise not too bad. Regarding controls: steering wheel and column hides some of the dash gauges and idiot lights. Also, the tilt wheel doesn't tilt much. Brake pedal seems to travel too much before brakes engage. My main complaint with this car is the sub par steering. Steering is vital. Toyota seems to have dropped the ball here. Al

Reply to
Al