power sun roof cable,,,HELP!!!!

My youngest son's first car is a 1990 Camry and the power sunroof cables need to be replaced, in order for the sunroof to work. The price he got for the cables range from $300-$400, is this is right? Can I get a better price, I am a machinist can I make something myself to replace it? Please email me if I can. I would really like to replace this for him!!!! Chuck

Reply to
Chuck H.

for

price,

me

Have no idea what they look like,...but they *might* be similar to the cables power -seats use? My old LTD has some rather large cables for the 2 gearboxes in its front bucket-seats, tho they maybe too short for your son's application.

BTW, our LTDs were not the Battlestar Galacticas of US renown, rather they were in US terms a 'compact' sized car, but still used the 351, 4-bbl carby Cleveland.

Jason

Reply to
Jason James

Chuck. Is the price you posted include installation? if so, it's not a bad price. I replaced a set of cables on my 90 camry about 3-4 yrs ago, and if I remember right they were $200-$300 for the 2 cables-without installation(dealer wanted About $600 installed). The roof liner has to be removed after you remove some of the plastic trim pieces, and you SHOULD have the factory service manual for instructions on how to line up the glass and synchronize the cables(or you might break them again). As far as making or reparing the cables, the end of the cable(where most likely the problem is) is a molded plastic piece, and if broken, I don't think it can be repaired. If you intend to do it yourself, for prices, check Butler Toyota at

800 692 6396, or at
Hope this helps. JerryR
Reply to
JerryR

Just wanted to comment that I also found Butler Toyota to be excellent in pricing and service. Recently purchased around $500 in parts from Lincoln Frash in the parts departement. Of those that responded to my faxed "Bid Request" parts list with factory names and part numbers itemized, they had the lowest pricing. For example, Toyota coolant cannot be shipped. Price would have been around $11. Wound up purchasing at my local dealer, for a $17.21 "discounted" price from $26.45 retail. Those local retail numbers have got to be a complete fiction. I can't believe nearly $30 for a gallon of antifreeze, whereas Butler prices were very reasonable across the board, with free shipping (over $100) and no sales tax (out of state).

Reply to
Daniel M. Dreifus