Problem turning ignition key.

I just bought a 1991 Camry with 121k miles. The key has a real hard time turning from the lock position to the accessory position. From accessory position back to lock position works. It must be giggled and wiggled until it will eventually turn and start the car.The key is pretty worn and kind of bent from the previuos owner having the same problem.The key looks original. Can a new key be made from that one and might that properly turn the ignition swith, or is it more likely a worn out switch with a worn out key.

Reply to
Steve

I have a 95 CAMRY from new 88.000 mile on it now

The same thing happened to me. A new key cured it. I suppose there is some wear in the barrel to but a new cut key solved my problem.

I typical design key cut at a supermarket is Circa £2.00 = US$4.

But the key for my Camry was not allowed to be cut in other than a Toyota centre. For security I was told.

Cost GB£8.00 = US$16.

Rip off.

Johnny UK

Reply to