Problem turning key in ignition.

I just bought a 1991 Camry with 121k miles. The key has a real hard time turning from the lock position to the accessory position. From accessory position back to lock position works. It must be giggled and wiggled until it will eventually turn and start the car.The key is pretty worn and kind of bent from the previuos owner having the same problem.The key looks original. Can a new key be made from that one and might that properly turn the ignition swith, or is it more likely a worn out switch with a worn out key.

Reply to
issjoe

I had the same problem in my car. If the ignition is in the dash instead of the steering wheel shaft it's relatively easy to pull the switch and take it to have a key made. I did it and it only cost me $8.

Reply to
Reasoned Insanity

If the key number is written in the Owner's Manual, the dealer can make a key from that. The dealer can also make a key from the VIN, going back about 15 years or so.

Barring that, the passenger's side door lock has a number on it. Get the number and the dealer can make a key.

I think the situation may be worse than that, though. The 'tumblers' or pins in the switch are probably worn and that's why you have to jiggle the key.

I have the same problem in my Supra.

Reply to
Hachiroku

I had to jiggle my worn key most of the time in most of the locks also. The key would even come out of the ignition when it was running but my new key made from the number (not a copy) works like a charm.

Reply to
Danny G.

It is possible to get a new lock cylinder and have it re-keyed. Locally: The Gold Smith's 251 342-3257

Reply to
satmech

I never new that. Thanks for the tip...

Dan

Reply to
Danny G.

Just call the dealership to see if they can get the code. If not, call Toyota. It's cheaper to buy a new Toyota key than to have your lock redone.

Reply to
Viperkiller

My dealer uses Curtis blanks...same as the hardware store!

Reply to
Hachiroku

"It is possible to get a new lock cylinder and have it re-keyed." I think he means to re-key the new ignition lock back to the cars original key so the same key works in all locks.

Reply to
Danny G.

At my dealer, I could not get a factory key!!!

I wanted one with the rubber head that says, "Toyota". No Go!

Reply to
Hachiroku

I'm sure they offer both aftermarket & factory keys. The point is that the new one must be cut with the correct code. Whichever blank is cut, it's still cheaper than have a locksmith recode the locks.

Reply to
Viperkiller

Talk to Gordy - he'd order one for you!

Reply to
Ray O

Oh so this is why they now have the push button start cars.

Reply to
EdV

I got a new key cut and it didn't help. I got the local Toyota wrecking yard to replace the lock cylinder. The cylinder release is on the bottom of the steering column in a very obscure place. You would never find it it you didn't know where to look.

Reply to
issjoe