Re: 03 SE brake scoring

Hello,

> > After just a few hundred miles, both rear disks of my 4 cyl Camry SE have > rather pronounced scoring, yet the fronts look pristine with absolutely no > scoring. > >

> > Braking so far has been easy, as per owners manual recommendation. > > Anyone else experience this? > > Thanks

The scored disks look typical of damage due to metal on metal contact. The two surfaces get so hot they try to fuse together then rip apart, removing a deeper amount of cast iron from the disk.

Jason

Reply to
Jason James

"The brakes.... they score .... TOUCH DOWN!" Sorry but, I just could not resist! LOL

These may be a defect in the new brake pad, such as an imbeded piece of foreign metal or .... there could be an improper mounting of the caliper to the anchor. Stuff happens so get the car back to the dealer pronto.

Reply to
Philip®

Humm --- mine (same yr and model) look slightly scored too in the rear! And with only 5k miles!

Reply to
Wolfgang

Maybe *you* should go work in a brake shop to learn *what* *is* in the real world.

Reply to
Philip®

Did I type to softly?

LOL, well, they all will score with the semi metallic, but after veiwing the second picture, it looks like a rock or somethign got stuck in there.

Reply to
MDT Tech®

Do tell ... DO TELL!

What were the circumstances of this grenade?

Reply to
Philip®

OK, I already did one of these munch motors too. It was oversped, oil pump came apart, probably around 11,000 rpm. Oh, as for the VVTL-i, you will find the rockers have galled the rocker shaft, twisted it and sheared the retainer bolt pin and its a blind hole, a bugger to get out. Oh, platil, dont repair this engine/head, there is a part number that will get you an entire engine ass'y complete with head. They did this for these deals only. I found out after I already replaced the short block and repaired the head with all 16 valves bent!

Reply to
MDT Tech®

On Monday, I will try to get more details. Our MDT has been especially grumpy as of late, so I have kept my usual incessant questions to a minimum. He got a new short block, but re-used the head after it tested OK. Looks like he will try to fire it up late Monday. I can tell you the vehicle is covered with stickers, has a mile high spoiler, and the person is a young male... I'll let you ponder the probable causes.

As a side note, it's amazing how light the short block is and that I saw no cylinder cross hatch in the old or new engine? For folks like you and I who appreciate sound, logical, well executed design and process, the engine exudes efficient elegance.

Reply to
Platil

MDT Tech (Rick),

Somehow > > Hello,

Reply to
Car Guy

I was going by the visual, I have no idea how deep. I have seen all the brakes score, They add more metal to give you more braking power while keeping the size small. The SE is a performance/handling version, I dont know if the brake pads are differnt. I'd take it in and have them look at it. But from first hand, it happens to lots, its just easier to see with disc brakes.

Reply to
MDT Tech®

That's what I thought.

Reply to
Chris Aseltine

Our Toyota MDT said it was a high speed downshift... above 11k RPM's like Rick said. The oil pump housing from old engine looked like it was literally blown up...

He got the engine running today.... idle was rough, but ran good at mid and higher engine speeds. Almost seems as if the "L" (lift) portion of the VVTL is active at idle, and is causing poor idle performance. Using his Toyota scan tool, he activated the VVT, and the engine died, so it seems that it is working.

Maybe the Toyota long block was the way to go... Rick, you have that P/N handy?

Reply to
Platil