Replace themostat on 1999 Camry

Greetings,

A couple of weeks ago my check engine light came on. The car was running fine but I brought it in anyway. $350 dollars later I had a new O2 sensor and a light that was still on. I went back to the Goodyear and now they told me I also need a thermostat. Something about the car not reaching operating temp fast enough.

Well, after getting banged in the shorts for $350 already I thought I'd try this repair myself. I used to work on cars many years ago before all these emission controls and computer controls. I figured it would be easy to find a guide online for replacing a thermostat but no such luck.

I have found online that I need a thermostat and an o-ring. However, I can't find anywhere that tells me exactly where the thermostat is on a

1999 Camry LE 6-cyl. If it is located where the top radiator hose enters the engine block there is an assembly that is held on by about 6 bolts. I remember in the old days all you did was pull off a hose and put in a new thermostat.

Anyway, point of this long post is to ask if anyone can give me a walkthrough on replacing a thermostat on a 1999 Camry LE 6-cyl. Thanks.

Reply to
mikeurl

You should go to Autozone and borrow for free their OBD-II reader. Read the codes from the car's computer first before doing any more work.

Reply to
johngdole

Use a toy thermostat some aftermarket O rings wont seal, ever.

Reply to
m Ransley

Having never seen my 99's thermostat removed, I had assumed that there would be the usual gasket between the housing and the block, not o-rings. I recall occasional problems with the old gaskets in Chrysler products.

Reply to
Sharx35

Japanese imports usually us a gasket that wraps around the thermostat plate.

And the housing compresses the gasket for a seal. The traditional o-ring for the thermostat housing (other outlet(s)) is just an o-ring between the block or a pipe leading to the lower rad hose.

Reply to
johngdole