Steering wheel squeeking during sharp turns

My steering wheel turns when I make a sharp turn to the right or left (at first it was mostly the right, but now it is both directions.) My power steering fluid level is full. Any ideas what might be the problem and the approximate cost to fix? I have a 94 camry.

Thanks

Reply to
Debbiedo

The steering shaft passes through a rubber bushing on the inside firewall, on its way to the steering gear. This is sometimes the source of the squeak. Get a can of silicon spray with the needle tube and spray it generously while some body turns the wheel back and forth (with the engine running). I have had this problem and that was the solution.

Reply to
Wayne55dud

Some more info.

It does not squeak when the engine is off. It squeaks a lot when I turn it at all when it is still cold and the engine is running. The colder outside the squeakier it gets. As the car engine warms up the more I can turn the steering wheel before it squeaks. It still squeaks at sharp turns no matter how warm the engine is. The squeak sounds as if it is coming from inside the engine, not the inside of the driver compartment.

If you still think this is the problem, I will buy some silicon spray tonight. Where exactly do I spray?

Many thanks.

Deb

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Reply to
Debbiedo

On my '03, the steering shaft enters the firewall just above and between the brake pedal and the gas pedal. There is a black rubber do-nut gasket surrounding the shaft. This is where you spray, around the shaft where it enters the rubber gasket. The dryness of the gasket is where a squeak can occur.

Reply to
Wayne55dud