05 Tacoma oil change and maint engine light reset

I dont take my 05 Tacoma to the dealer to change the oil.'

How do I reset the Maintain Engine Light after an oil change?

Thanks!

Reply to
primaryaccount

There is a section in your manual on this. I dont remember exactly, but its a combination of turning the key to a certain position and holding down the odometer toggle button... i think...

Reply to
Dan J.S.

This was the answer when I asked the same question last month.

"That light tells you that you need to change your oil and perform the rest of the NORMAL 5k service.

Perform the service, then press and hold the trip-mileage reset button, turn the key on, wait a few minutes, turn the key off, and it will reset.

--- Rich

" Kevin T

Reply to
kgt

Not in the manual that I can find.

But thanks!

Reply to
primaryaccount

Man, I don't see why the manufacturers feel the need to do this crap. Must be to drive more business to the dealers or they think all customers are morons.

I am an electrical engineer for a major diesel engine manufacturer and I am on the team that does all of the electronics on the engine (ecm, sensors, harness, you name it). I can tell you that we do everything we can to avoid having any type of fault lamp come on. We probably err on the side of not lighting a light when we should. We certainly don't light anything for routine work like this.

One thing that I would like to see is something that you will find on the Volvo dashboard in their diesel trucks. They have a LCD screen right next to the wheel that actually displays the fault code number and a description of what that fault is everytime the diagnostics put out a fault. They have been doing this for quite some time. They can also put up messages like "change oil" that aren't tied to any fault codes.

If the car makers would do something like this, then that would prevent trips to the dealer to find out what the idiot light means or having to buy some OBD Scanner tool.

In the interest of giving consumers more info, something like this should be mandated.

Mike T

Reply to
Mike T.

Many auto parts stores will gladly read you the code, using their scanner, in their parking lot. And it's free.

Barry

Reply to
Bonehenge

True, but that's effort and I'm a lazy man. :)

Reply to
Mike T.

Don't sell yourself short. The fact that this bothers you makes you weird and different.

The average "meat with eyes" that operates a motor vehicle today needs to be told to bring it in for an oil change. Imagine the same folks if the panel said "replace fruraffer and change to winter air"?

At least code scanners are now available at a reasonable price to the average bear, so we can get the info if we want.

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y

Do you have a different version than the rest of us?

Reply to
B a r r y

Perhaps your nose doesn't work, and you haven't noticed how many relatively young cars are driving around with ruined engines. Granted, some of this is due to lousy manufacturing (Chrysler mini-vans, for instance, whose tolerances are apparently measured in full inches instead of tiny fractions). But still, some is due to lack of maintenance. The AAA has done surveys where they found that something like 60% of passenger vehicles had seriously underinflated tires. Why assume that people are paying any closer attention to their oil?

Reply to
Doug Kanter

I was thinking about this and realized something.

Over the years, the process of obtaining a car has gone from cash, to bank financing with cash, to zero down financing, to an awful lot of leasing. Not to mention that many people KNOW they won't be driving the car four years from now.

I prefer to buy cars with as little financing and as much cash as possible, and keep them as long as possible. When I do that, it hurts a little to hand _my_ check over. My financing has always come from a credit union, so I'm also handing over that check. In the end, I'm _seeing_ checks with large numbers on them, that I'm giving to someone else. This makes me think of my cars as the large purchases they are.

I think of my Tacoma as $26,000 something dollars, after taxes, not as $399, or whatever, a month. The big number, and the fact that I want to own it a while, makes me do things like rotate tires, check the oil when gassing up, park carefully, etc... In other words, I put a lot more effort into caring for cars than I might, say a $300 power tool, because I know it will cost ME money and grief in the future.

How many poorly maintained vehicles are low or zero down dealer financed, or leased, with the owner thinking only of the monthly payment, rather than the $15, $25, $35, or more thousands of dollars that the vehicle cost.

Reply to
B a r r y

Why try to protect folks from themselves. Kill your engine and void your warranty. Sometimes the most painfull lessons are the ones best remembered.

Reply to
Mike T.

Yeah, but we have to breathe their burning oil when we get stuck behind them in traffic. I have this crazy idea that maybe my grandchildren will have air to breathe that's at least no worse than ours. (I've lowered my standards over the years).

Reply to
Doug Kanter

I dont know.

What is the versi> snipped-for-privacy@flashmail.com wrote:

Reply to
primaryaccount

Will advise.

I don't drive the truck to work, so the manual isn't here.

Reply to
B a r r y