2004 Tacoma check engine light, 100 miles

I've owned this 2WD double cab Tacoma for three freakin' days, and the check engine light turns on about when I hit 100 miles on the odometer. I tightened the gas cap. Is there any other reason why this light could have come on so early??

Reply to
SeanB

Yes, which is why it came on.

Reply to
Paul Cassel

Hey thanks, you're really helpful. Please stick to pr0n-related newsgroups.

Reply to
SeanB

What does the dealer say about it?

Reply to
Doug Kanter

I am bringing it in tomorrow afternoon and will share the results.

Reply to
SeanB

So as I mentioned, I checked the gas cap before bringing it in. It was tight. After they looked at it, the dealer hands me the keys and says "loose gas cap." I said "no way." That's what the computer said, and they turned the light off.

Two days later, the check engine light comes on again. I have not touched the gas cap since picking it up from the shop. Now I'm taking it to a competent dealer.

Reply to
SeanB

If the other dealer can't help, find out if the service department is open on Saturday. Go in and ask the supervisor for a conference. Walk him into the sales area and TALK VERY LOUD. Your vehicle will be fixed.

Reply to
Doug Kanter

Have the gas cap pressure tested, or just put another one on. It is possible that the gas cap is defective and isn't sealing correctly. Any jiffy-lube type place with ODBII emissions testing equipment can pressure (vacuum) test the cap for you.

A new cap could have been scored on the rubber seal when the dealer or new owner did a fill-up or inspection, it could be the wrong cap, it could simply be defective.

good luck! GTr

Reply to
gregory trimper

Try a tank of mid-grade gas and close the cap as tightly as possible.

Reply to
Ken Ieither