Help with Tacoma Buying Dilemma

I'm about to trade in my old '92 on a 2008 Tacoma or a 2007 Frontier.

The 08 Tacoma I want (2wd 4cyl 4A Access cab) is $17,990.

The 07 Fronty I want (basically same) is $17,200.

Here is the dilemma:

I *slightly prefer the Taco, but I'm not in love with it, or any vehicle.

The Fronty is a 2007, but has 4 wheel disc brakes, cruise control, and a 5 speed automatic. I'm thinking I can put the squeeze on them for an identical 2008 for maybe $500 more.

I think it's a draw at the moment, but what do I know? :)

I'm thinking that I will buy from the dealer that offers me the most for my old 92, which is low miles and in excellent shape.

Based on the price quotes, what do you guys think?

Many thanks,,,

Bob A.

Reply to
Bob Adkins

ZaXXoN

I have a better idea. You buy them for me! :)

Come on Bill, make up my mind for me! ;)

At least tell me how the prices look. -

Bob

Reply to
Bob Adkins

Buy the one you like.

BTW, if you do your own maintenance, look under the hood.

Reply to
B A R R Y

There's a pretty good demand for your '02. I think you're throwing money away by trading it. Sell it outright, then you'll have more to put into the new truck. And more than enough extra to rent a car for a while if you need it. The Taco is a better truck. And once you remove the trade from the deal, there's less chance for them to screw you. The Tacos will always be a tad higher, cause there's more demand for them. If you go to Toyota.com, you can see the trim and accessory packages and "design" your own truck. Then take this printout to several dealers and ask them what their best price is. NO negotiating, talk directly to a sales manager and tell him up front that you are comparing dealers and he has one chance to get your business. Have fun!

Reply to
DanG

Your '92 is worthless to the dealership. It is far too old for them to want, they'll give you a few hundred dollars for it, maybe a grand, but you could get more for it if you parked it on the corner with a For Sale sign in the window. The dealership will give you less than you can sell it for, and they will turn around and send it to the auction (or Mexico), where it will end up on the corner with a For Sale sign in the window asking what you would ask if you were selling it yourself. Visit

and see what others are asking for the same truck as yours with an appropriate adjustment for miles.

I think the money you are paying for the Toyota and the Nissan are essentially the same, and the bottom line is comfort, ergonomics, and styling. Buy the truck that you are most comfortable in and has knobs and dials in places that make the most sense to you. You want to consider stuff like seating position, thigh support, pedal placement, arm rests, etc. These things lead to your physical comfort or the lack of it. Then, you want to make sure the controls are logically placed and give you the range of function you want -- you should want the Air Conditioner to be switched on independently of where the air comes out of the various holes, for example my Ford F150 always controls the air conditioner when I move the selector to any position other than Vent or Floor; this is very annoying and if my Ford did not have other desirable features, this would stop me from buying it.

The things that are important to you RIGHT NOW are your physical comfort and the logical design of the stuff that you will be using. The price is no longer important because you have narrowed your options to Toyota and Nissan and the price they are asking for similar trucks is too close be a deciding factor. You can melt any difference by telling the salesman at the last possible moment, I really like this truck, but I like the other truck too and it is $750 cheaper. Shave that $750 or I'm gonna walk across the street -- then be prepared to do it. If you say that, and start heading for the sidewalk, he'll shave the $750 to get the deal. He might try to tell you why his truck is worth the extra $750, but all you have to do is walk, and his truck is not any better at all and the price differential will melt away.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Excellent, excellent points Jeff.

It really is a tie between the 2 trucks according to the way I rate them.

As I said, The Tacoma has less standard equipment for the same bucks. The Fronty has a 5 speed automatic, Tacoma a 4 speed. Frontier has 4 wheel disc brakes, Tacoma 2 wheel discs. Fronty has cruise control, Tacoma doesn't. :(

Problem is, the Frontier is a 2007. So I need opinions on a better equipped 2007 Fronty vs. a lesser equipped 2008 Tacoma.

Jeff, I don't know what "worthless" is to a dealer, but the Nissan dealer gave me a range of $2500-$3000 for my old truck, which is within $500 of high retail. I got a straight up bid, then stuck the truck into the deal after the price was already negotiated.

Thanks for the ideas! -

Bob

Reply to
Bob Adkins

Is the Nissan NEW -- never sold -- or previously owned? If new, what difference does it make as to the year?

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Yea, it's new.

Excellent question! I don't know if the 08's were upgraded with anything worthwhile.

-

Bob

Reply to
Bob Adkins