Am I barking up the wrong tree?

As many of you know, I am trying to find the oil leaks on my 1982 22R. I had it (or so i thought) pinpointed to the timing cover and front main seals. However, when I was under the truck today, I realized i am no more sure than when i started. For one, the oil pan isn't really "oily" it does have a little oil on it, but its not wet. Not even the front of the pan where it would blow onto it. The front of the transmission has liquid oil on it, but I always suspected it would blow onto there. The front valence also is oil free (sits directly beneath front of engine). Now, I thought it may be the rear main. But, a retired mechanic told me the clutch performance would be impaired with that seal leaking. I have not noticed any clutch problems. I am now beginning to think maybe that the valve cover is leaking and that the oil is really running down the back of the engine onto the bell housing and getting blown all over the tranny. Does this sound reasonable? How could I check?

Thanks all in advance.

Reply to
Chas

My rear bearing was leaking for many many months and still no clutch issues. That depends entirely on how bad the leak is.

Valve cover gasket maybe? Have you tightened them all okay. Dont over tighten as that will stuff the gasket.

Reply to
Scotty

Scotty the leak is relatively bad. It only leaks when it runs but as soon as you park it it drips around 5 drops the size of a quarter. You can run it for 2 minutes or 4 hours, its always the 5 drops. I have tracked it down to about 1 qt /600 miles. I think i will invest in a valve cover gasket set.

Any other Ideas?

Reply to
Chas

Is it definitely motor oil?

Reply to
Scotty

I thought it may be tranny oil at first, but its viscosity is too thin, i think. Anyway, to clarify it drips mainly off of the bell housing. Sometimes the tranny, rarely the oil pan/bar under the oil pan. In addition, most of the lower engine looks "sludgy" whereas the bell housing is semi-clean, and where it isn't clean its a mix of clean/black streaks. This makes me think the valve cover is leaking and running down the engine. I am planning to replace.

Thanks guys (any other ideas??)

Reply to
Chas

A good steam clean would be a good idea before you start pulling it apart. Make that engine bay sparkle (Not really but pretty damn clean will help) so NO oil stains or anything anywhere and once dry run up the road a few miles and recheck. Do you have a small mirror tool and a torch to look behind the valve covers?

Reply to
Scotty

I have looked on the back of the valve cover/engine via a mirror, it looked oily, but not like most of the engine, like a wet oil. Sort of clean, actually. I ordered a valve gasket set that will be in tuesday. The guy at the parts store said i do not need to apply gasket sealant, any truth to this?

Thanks a ton.

Reply to
Chas