Blown the interior light Fuse twice already on a '03 4Runner?

The fuse is a 10A. When it's blown the interior light & the remote entry all went dead. Happened twice already. Hmm. I changed it with a 15A spare. Do you think if it is good idea?

Reply to
DaviT

Is this a factory remote entry, or a dealer installed one? That's the first place to start looking, probably has a short in the wiring or rubbed through to ground on a sheetmetal edge...

No, that's a very bad idea. NEVER PUT IN A LARGER FUSE unless you're absolutely positive that the wiring can handle the current - the Toyota engineers know the wire size and protect it accordingly.

The fuse protects the wiring harness, and the extra current before the fuse blows could be just enough to start an electrical fire and take out the whole harness, or worse spread to the interior and burn up the whole car.

An '03 should still be under warranty - get thee to the dealer. Now.

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

Reply to
DaviT

Everything is factory installed. If I take it to the dealer, what will they do? I doubt they would do anything but to replace with another fuse then a few months later same thing happen.

I can save the time by buying a handful of 10A fuse then.

I noticed it happended when I tried to open the car. Guess the in-rush current from the door solenoids plus other devices could easily exceed

10A.

Toyota engineer must have goofed up here.

Reply to
DaviT

You could try a 15A fuse for a while, if something bad happens, put back a blown 10A and take it to the dealer. If the 15A blow though, you should assume there definitely is a problem somewhere.

Reply to
Rog