Heater Fuse Mystery, HOTLY HOPEING!

My wife is driving a 1990 4RUNNER without any heat for a month now! The previous posting was helpful. I am wondering if there is a fuse for either the front heater or rear, as both have now stopped blowing. I understand it's likely the relay that is gone but I'd like to try changing the fuse first. I Googled for over an hour without finding specific info as to where is the fuse? I checked by the drivers fusebox but doesn't seem to be one there. Does anyone know if the blower motor can safely be directly connected to the battery? Would I need an inline fuse for that? Any help or good link would be HOTLY appreciated! (minus 25 degrees tonite!!!!!)

Reply to
Richard

snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (Richard) wrote in news:6974d37e.0501251507.677a24d2 @posting.google.com:

According to my electrical diagram, there is a fuse for both the front and rear blower motors. As to where they are, I don't know for certain.

They're both 20A fuses.

Reply to
Rich

I have a manual on CD and it says the heater fuse is in fuse block 3, located behind the glove box.

Reply to
Rowdy

I have an 85 4runner. Her's how it works...... the heater blowers get their power from two control points. The ignition switch puts power thru a 7.5 amp fuse to the two heaters relays and to the main power window relay. [7.5 amps is enough to operate the relay coils] If this fuse is gone these three relays are effectively dead. Neither heater blower will operate nor will the power window master switches. These three operate on relays that close on demand from the controls, supplying power from other live circuits that are fused with 20 AMPs each for the two htr blowers and a 20 amp circuit breaker for the power windows. So if you have no power windows, [or somethig else doesn't work it might be reated to your problem ], look for the 7.5 IGN fuse and then the blowers and windows should work. If you have power windows operating, then it's only the blower circuits. or is something else not working? The two 20AMP blower fuses get power from an 80 AMP fuse link [ a fuse in the wire buried in the harness near the battery, even looks like part of the wire] but it also feeds the ignition so if the truck runs it can't be that unless your circuit has been modified from the 85 circuit. So logically thinking ........ two blower relays don't fail at the same time? two blower on/off switches don't fail at the same time? two seperate fuses don't fail at the same time? ....... since I assume all other electrical items function normally..... It has to be the grounding of the blower circuit . ground points are located .... A .... under the left front pillar B ... right front fender C ... engine block look for a broken or corroded wire on these ground points. to see if grounding is the problem, find the ground wire to the rear blower and jumper it to a new ground point and see if the blower works

"Richard" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com...

Reply to
Guylaine J. Parisien

located behind the glove box.

*Thanks! I did find a fuse for the rear heater on the side wall, beside the passengers foot. This whole area has salt residue from a windshield leak. Changed the fuse and the rear heater now works. *Is fuse block 3 on the firewall or sidewall? I still haven't found the fuse for the main heater blower (if there is one!) *Does anyone know if it is safe to connect the heater blower motor directly to the battery without a fuse? *Anyone know if I remove the heat switch control for the heater and bypass it with a jumper wire? *Still looking for a good internet link that has 4RUNNER fuse location info. Thanks everyone for all the help, Richard.
Reply to
Richard

Sorry, all it says is "behind the glove box". For what it's worth, the relay for the motor is in that same fuse block. I have a Tacoma, so I can't look at mine to try to help.

Reply to
Rowdy