Minor thumping sound when stopping

I have a 2003 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab 4x4 auto trans. Everytime I come to a complete stop it makes a low thumping sound of sorts. I don't suspect it is a defect. I think it is normal. It sounds as if something is disengaging.

Any ideas what it is and if it should be looked at by a technician? My wife is concerned about it and I have procrastinated finding out the cause.

Reply to
G.A.Z.

have you searched on axel wrap?

Reply to
Paul Cassel

How about a rear brake grabbing? does it make the same noise once when you start up from the stop?

Reply to
JimmySchmittsLovesChocolateMil

Oftentimes it makes a similar but much less pronounced noise when I start off again.

Reply to
G.A.Z.

Is that some type of clothing for hard rock singers?

Reply to
G.A.Z.

Could be that a rear brake is grabbing as you slow down, making the noise you are referring to, then once fully stopped the brake is "locked" and when you take off from the light, it breaks the lock and make the thud again. I had the same thing on an oldsmoboat with rear drum breaks, the catching / locking / grabbing, what ever you want to call it could be from a small leak of fluid on the pads, or ??? I'd get the brakes checked out.

Dave

Reply to
JimmySchmittsLovesChocolateMil

It's used for cool weather when you need something light but not too cold when you need an axel coat. :-) davidj92

Reply to
davidj92
3-23-05 0841 EST I have read posts that this can be caused by the slip joint in the propeller shaft being dry. Have you lubed the shaft lately? Ed
Reply to
ed_herman

Yeah, I caught the typo, but after posting. Owell.

Reply to
Paul Cassel

Everyone does it from time to tiime. :-) davidj92

Reply to
davidj92

So what did he mis-type? I really am lost here.

Reply to
G.A.Z.

I will have a technician service it. Thanks.

Reply to
G.A.Z.

I meant to say Axel Rap. That's a form of 4 x 4 modern 'music'.

Reply to
Paul Cassel

Axle, as in an axle for a vehicle. Axel, as in Axel Rose, lead singer in Guns n Roses.

Reply to
davidj92