speed sensor

Can anybody point me to a website, picture or schematics showing where the speed sensor of an 86 4runner is located. I just saw the the speed sensor hanging and obviously not detecting anything.

Reply to
ac

Speed sensor? I thought that they had cable at that age, would like to know how they do it though, ........anyone?

Reply to
Scotty

I believe it is a cable.. And connects to the rear of the transfer case

Ian

Reply to
EasyE

If you have the cable hanging down the hole its supposed to be in is easy to find, hold the cable up to the gearbox at the suitable lenth and the hole is somewhere around there. And look for the missing speedo cable inner as thats long gone if its been out driving around for a while.

Reply to
Scotty

If you have a 4x4, the speed sensor is mounted to the transfer case as near as practical to the rear driveshaft, if you only have 2WD, the speed sensor will be mounted to the transmission near the tailshaft. Generally, the sensor is on the side, and is easy to spot. You said you found wires hanging down, the sensor will be within reach of the end of the wires. It might be mounted to the top of the trans or tcase (whichever the rear driveshaft is connected to), but it will always be collecting data from the tailshaft of whatever it is mounted to.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland