1970 vw beetle Oil change...

i'm about to change it and i can't find a book to work me thru it... does anyone have a site that has pics to work me thur it??? or can you scan and post...

Thxs ALOT

Scotty

Reply to
Scotty

i have a Bently and a Haynes.... you should to.

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

Get a manual:

for Item #

170075183143

or:

110082576442 170074860182
Reply to
Speedy Jim

Open filler cap, place suitable receptable underneath the oilsump, remove drainplug and let drain. If you have a oil change "kit" remove the mini sump and clean strainer, remember one gasket on each side of strainer when assembling, do not overtighten small acorn nuts.

Refill with 2.5L of oil, thats about it really..

J.

Please ask if anything seems uncertain, remember there is no such thing as a "stupid" question when asked earnest.

Reply to
Berg

ok, other then the strainer, Does it have an oil filter... And joey, i've ordered one... i'm w8ing til i get it, BUT i want AS MUCH DONE B4 i get it... i want it on the road in 6 months

Reply to
Scotty

No, an otherwise stock T1 engine from ca 1970 does not have another oil filter, only the strainer which covers the oil pickup inlet in the sump.

J.

And joey,

Reply to
Berg

ok, the strianer is the one on The sump plate, Right???

Reply to
Scotty

Yes.

Reply to
Speedy Jim

Here are some pictures that should help. They show how it all goes together.

It's super easy.

Jakalope

ok, the strianer is the one on The sump plate, Right???

Reply to
Scotty

ok thats the ONLY filter right???

Reply to
Scotty

That's correct. The sreen catches the really big lumps and the fine particles settle out onto the sump plate.

The Porsche engineers who came up with the design in 1937 (Yes!) felt it would be adequate to protect the bearings .

70 years later....It still works!

Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim

cool....sounds like a great plan...go in blind now, then fix all the screw ups when the manual comes...it takes what. a day or two to have a manual shipped?

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

iight, you don't understand, I KNOW people that work?worked on them, my uncle can set the timing by ear... i got it running BY MY SELF 3 DAYS AFTER IT GOT IT

Reply to
Scotty

thank ya Jim, so now i get to take back the oil filters autozone said i'd need... lol

Reply to
Scotty

Oh, sh*t!! Now you've really done it, Scotty! Man the barricades; here comes the flame war!

HaHaHaHa (Just kidding)

i got it running BY MY SELF 3

Frankly, I applaud your plucky attitude and willingness.

(That's not a slam on Joey's position either. I just take a slightly different viewpoint.)

Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim

I suggest you check it....And then set it correctly.

Reply to
Jakalope

he's set 50 or more like that, he's FIXED wut orther mechanic have said was set right... then he took it to a new guy and they said it WAS right... HE KNOW wut he's doing,

Reply to
Scotty

"iight" i'll tell you, your timing is off....

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

detonation is your friend...embrace it....

Reply to
Joey Tribiani