1972 Westy Pop Top Problem

Okay, in the never ending fix/replace/drive/fix/replace/fix/Drive cycle of owning this wonderful bus...

So I am driving down from the mountains in the COLD. All of a sudden I here a pop and a windy noise inside the bus. I pull over and notice that my Pop Top (Older style Opens with hing on front of bus) is popped up and the scissor like pieces of aluminum on the drivers side of the underneath of pop top has snapped.

So now, as I am driving down the road at speeds 55 and over, the poptop will Lift up about 2 inches in the front. I don't wanna rip off the entire pop top, that would suck.

To make a long story short...

Does anyone have the scissor type aluminum poles that "jack" up the pop top in the front? Know where and if I can get these? They look like they are riveted instead of bolted or screwed (well they are screwed, but not like that;-) Do I have to buy a whole new pop top or is this reapiarable? It is snapped where the little beige plastic connector is attached to both aluminum "poles"

Help, I want to ride my bus..

Roger

Reply to
Roger

I think it is called the Flex arm support but I can only find for the sunroof not the camper top :-(

Reply to
Roger

You need new pop top hinges. 69 to 72 are the same cheapo crappy tubular hinges. [68 are the same style but will not bolt to the 69-73 pop top]

73 are different. 73 was the last year of the front hinge. Westfalia finally got smart and redesigned the hinges. Instead of tubes, they use flat stock. MUCH stronger. The 73 hinges will fit on a 69-72 but they are one-year-only to find.

When I say new, I am speaking of new-to-you used. That is all that you will find.

I do happen to have a set of 73 only hinges.....

Reply to
Karl

Karl,

How much you want for those and I gathered from your email that they will fit my bus?

Any Help GREATLY Appreciated.

Roger Boulder, CO

Reply to
Roger