2nd gear designed wrong on beetles?

In a discussion board I belong to, someone mentioned that 2nd gear was designed wrong on beetles and you should never use it. I have a 1960 beetle that's been converted to look like a 1929 mercedes (all the mechanical stuff is still original beetle parts) and I've never noticed anything peculiar about 2nd gear. Has anyone else heard of this? Sounds like a bunch of hooey to me.

-- Mark Sokos Electrical Engineer, Computer Geek (er, programmer), and no talent bum musician

Reply to
Suscom Usenet News

....................it's hooey

Reply to
Tim Rogers

I'm Going with the first response,................HOOOEY

But Would love to see pics of your kit car.

post 'em anywhere????

Remove "YOURPANTIES" to reply MUADIB®

MUADIB®

2nd gear wasnt designed wrong, it just wears quicker than the other gears, it would be the most used gear in a car, and if youre on 40 odd years of upshifts and downshifts it, like anything, is going to wear out. the only peculiarity is the 40 year old synchro thats probably gone
Reply to
Jesse

Some things are obviously Beetle, like the engine, but if you look closely, you'll notice that the rear lights, driver's side mirror, speedometer, and radio are all from the original beetle as well. The parking brake is up under the dash (you can barely see it in some of the pics) which shows you how far they moved the seats back. The battery is hidden up under the trunk, which I don't think is where it was located in the original Beetle. All of the pics I have show it under the back seat, but I don't have a pic of a 1960. It is a Beetle battery though, complete with the little plastic tray on top that prevents the battery from shorting against the seat springs. The steering column is even from the original Beetle. All they did was add a spacer rod to make up for the distance that they moved it back.

It's titled as a 1960 beetle, but I think some parts come from a

71 or a 72. The electrical system is 12 volts (the 1960 was a 6 volt system I believe) and the blinker module was only used in a 71 and 72 according to the Haynes manual I have, which is what leads me to believe other parts are from that year. However, the wiring seems to follow the 1960 when you look at things like how the lights are wired.

You Beetle experts can probably identify a lot more than I can.

-- Mark Sokos Electrical Engineer, Computer Geek (er, programmer), and no talent bum musician

Reply to
Suscom Usenet News

I case anyone is interested, the Mercedes SSK (maybe the lesser models, S and SS were too) was designed by none other that Ferdinand Porsche, the father of our beloved VW Beetle. Same guy.

Jan

Reply to
Jan Andersson

Reply to
Ilambert

Plastic fuel filter, wrong side of pump !!!

James

Reply to
Juper Wort

or maybe not, actually. Just noticed the tank & fuel line path.

oops

James

Reply to
Juper Wort

That's curious. Although it does remind me of stories told about fuel saving tricks used during the US depression and the following war. During those times drivers would often shift from 1st into 3rd as a way to save gas. Although it could be questioned about how well such a technique actually worked.

Reply to
James Martinez

I was going to say, it's a bit cheesy but it seems to work ok.

Nothing like the knowledge that in an accident the gas tank is RIGHT BEHIND MY FREAKIN HEAD!!!