4 to 5 lug adaptors

I just converted my 66 front brakes to discs. The rotor only accepts 4 lugs and my rims are the old 5 lug style. My question is are the 4 to

5 lug adaptors safe for road use? Does anyone have experience with these?

Thanks, John

Reply to
JS

My opinion of adaptors are that your adding more links (and weak ones) to the chain. Its just one more thing to go wrong. But, at least with the vw 4 to wide

5's, your getting a simple steel plate, I would say the "best" deal out of al the adaptors out there (as long as they spin "true"). Its gonna add some weight, and some width too (could be a problem in some situations).

Of course use caution with them, you don't hear about too much trouble with the particular ones that you want to use but I always have found a loose/buggered one on the last few cars I have either bought or worked on with them.

Mark Detro Englewood, FL

Reply to
Mark Detro

Thanks for the reply. I did need to add a 3/8" spacer to clear the calipers as well. I had a machinist fabricate them and he looked at the adapters. He told me they looked sturdy enough and safe enough. He said he's seen much thinner ones in the past where the adapters had actually bent. I think I'm going to eventually switch to new 4-lugged rims.

John

loose/buggered

Reply to
JS

If the 911 5-bolt wheels have the same pattern as your 5-bolt rims, then I have four EMPI adapters, never used, three still in the shrink wrap. 50% retail would make me happy.

(So the question is, what are the actual dimensions of the 5-bolter VW holes?)

Reply to
jjs