68 Brakes Does this look right?

I guess ryan would be able to tell beter but maybe someone will see somethign I missed. I know the left Spring that uses the special to to get on and off is not on I put that on after I took the pics. Mostly worried about the Spacer in the Cover. This being my first time working on a car I am a little unsure of my work.

I left the pics big so you can see the detail.

I still have not gotten off the Rubber Brake lines. THey get them off easily in the vieo with 17mm and 11mm line wrench but I guess because my car had been sitting for a while they are a little harder. Any Ideas?

Thanks Steven

Reply to
Noice87

The lip on the seal is half inside and half outside the axle, that will tear the seal and needs to be fixed (it should all be inside the axle). Also, the spring holder isn't twisted fully to 90 degrees (the one that takes the "special tool") and will come off after a few braking operations. It needs to be twisted to 90 degrees so the end of the pins sits in the detents in the holder.

Reply to
Erik Dillenkofer

Thanks just what I wanted to know.

Thanks Steven

Reply to
Noice87

Reply to
J Hill

Bag of Lays Cheddar I think.

I figured out my problem. I was thinking becuase I have a 68 I had to remove the bearing cover. Bug me Video said 49-65 and 69 and older with the irs transmision did not have to be removed. I didn't realize ( I did but it didn't hit me) that mine didn't have a Oil Slinger and Hole at the bottom. and my Seal was in the front. Once I figured that out it went ok. Need to push my spacer back a little forgot to put grease on it to slide it back.

Thanks for the advise.

Thanks Steven

Reply to
Noice87

Don't forget to put on the other shoe retaining spring..............like the one on the right, there needs to be one on the left.................................yeah, that "nail" with the cylinder spring that goes over it......... with the slotted washer on the front,..................yeah,........that one. It'll keep other major problems from occurring. And like said before,...........MAKE SURE THE SLOTTED WASHER GETS 90 DEGREES Turn.

Remove "YOURPANTIES" to reply

MUADIB®

MUADIB®

Thanks for the info. I have bouth on just need to turn it 90 Degrees. I am doing it the redneck way with hands and a flat screwdriver. Hope to finish up the other side today and then work on getting the rubber brake lines out.

Reply to
Noice87

use a standard pair of pliers to put those barrel shaped springs on...just grab the slotted washer/retainger thing-a-ma-bob with the end of the pliers....then push and turn...sometimes you may need to reach around the back and put your finger on the retaining "nail" to keep from pushing it out....

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

I got one side looking good. But the first side I started on the SPacer still seems a little out of the seal. I've hammered the spacer back some. Not sure why it didn't want to go in. I took it apart two or three times.

Reply to
Noice87