'71 RHD bus, unknown switch?

Hi,

I have two switches on the right hand side of the steering wheel mounted on the dash. One is the headlights. The other is a pull out type with two positions (in or out) and no twisty action. It's got a strange symbol on it, kind of like a windscreen wiper, but my wiper control is on the other side of the steering column. It's wired in, but I can't see where the wires are going.

Any ideas what this might be? I've tried toggling it but nothing obvious seems to happen. Any suggestions on how to work out if this is a useful control, or what it is supposed to be?

Thanks Anto

'71 Type 2 bus newbie

Reply to
Antony Hutchison

Reading from left to right, I have:

Headlamp switch: push-pull, and rotate to bring instrument lamps up from fully off to faint glimmer

Steering Wheel

Rear dome (ceiling) light switch. Push-pull

Windshield wiper switch: rotates to three positions and has pushbutton in middle to unleash dribble into windscreen.

Emergency blinker switch

Ashtray

Green rear window defroster switch. Mainly a decoration at present.

Reply to
Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliot

.......................Is this because it doesn't work or because you live in frost free southern California?

Reply to
Tim Rogers

On many a morning we get into the Wonderbus and I note thick wet dew on the rear window. Would be nice to evaporate it with the DF, but it ain't gonna happen. Pull switch . . . and we get nuttin'.

I'll get around to it after I get these new heater boxes installed, the fuel line re-routed, new battery wiring built . . . sheesh.

Reply to
Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliot

Hey Anthony, can you post a picture somewhere and link us to it???

Remove "YOURPANTIES" to reply MUADIB®

MUADIB®

If its anything like mine, it's because the wires on the rear window are broken and no longer heat the window to defrost. Boy that drives me crazy :P

Tom

Reply to
Vic20Owner

Ok you are the other way round to me, except I dont have a domelight switch there (its a dead one), or the green switch. The ceiling light has a (broken) switch on it - I might rewire this to the dash, I was looking for a use for the spare control!

Thanks :-)

But I have an extra control still next to the headlights... I will post a picture soon. I have the feeling that it was the wipers, but a PO moved it to the other side.

Cheers, Anto.

Reply to
Antony Hutchison

Yeah will do, I feel a full on photo session coming on...

Anto.

Reply to
Antony Hutchison